It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 09:56 PM   #1

hayley's mom HB User
Post trouble getting health insurance

I was just wondering if anyone had trouble insuring their child since they were diagnosed with seizures. We currently have her with Health Net and now they are saying her insurance will be terminated and she can't be re-enrolled until she is seizure free for 2 years. This is all very unsettling as her lamictal is $861.84 every month. Asides from that she has wonderful doctors right now too. I have tried numerous companies and have been told the same, as well as CCS (California Children's Services) and Healthy Families. She is too disabled for regular insurance and not disabled enough for government programs. Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2002, 05:43 AM   #2

mnsnellers HB User
I understand your situation, kind of. Luckily for me, I am still on my former employers COBRA plan, but I don't know what I am going to do when that runs out if I am not able to go back to work. The combination from my injuries suffered in an accident along with my epilepsy are really putting me up against a wall. Everything is considered a pre-existing condition and they are also telling me that I am not disabled enough for government aid. If I come across anything, I will post it and keep us informed as to what you find out. Good luck to you.

Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2002, 08:40 AM   #3

hayley's mom HB User
Thank you Jason. I guess I wasn't very clear. The health plan she is on now is not going to cover her anymore effective in a few months when it comes up for renewal. They then won't let her reapply because if her "prexisting condition". This is insane to me because they are already covering her now. My husband says it is a loophole and he has contacted a lawyer. We have checked with many other plans and they all seem to say the same thing. Basically they only want to insure healthy people. Aslo, same as you, she is not diasbled enough for any of the government programs. We are at quite a loss. Obviously she needs health insurance, we just don't know where else to turn.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Cathy!
I started having seizures last November and in January lost my job & my insurance coverage. I was fortunate enough that my husband was able to add me to his plan (BC/BS) without a problem. My Dr. did however give me a phone number & an enrollment form to fill out for me to get FREE Tagratol & Neurontin. $1,327.29 a month w/out coverage. I never needed the program but I just remembered it as I read your post so you might ask your Dr. about it & see what they say. If I recall correctly these programs are offered by the drug manufacturers themselves but are NOT advertised. You can also speak to your Dr. about as many free samples that you can get.

I wish you luck with this & keep us posted.
Big hugs to you & Halley!!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:36 AM   #5

hayley's mom HB User
Lightbulb

Thank you Kim. I will e-mail her neurologist and see what he suggest. DUH - never thought of that!!

Closed Thread