It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2002, 08:58 AM   #1

rhyanen HB User
Question Seizures and normal EEG

Hi. I am new here and have a question. I am wondering if one can have seizures that do not show up on sleep deprived EEG?

I had two focal seizures last year, two weeks apart. I had just stopped taking my Wellbutrin, and suspect it was from the withdrawl reaction. My neuro sent me in for a sleep deprived EEG, but I had a hard time falling to sleep, and ended up staying awake throughout. The EEG came up normal. I wonder if I had fallen to sleep, if something would have shown up.

Then a few days ago, I had another one during my sleep that woke me up feeling very disoriented. The same type as last year. I had just started taking a stimulant for ADD along with the Wellbutrin, and found out later that there is an interaction between the two. I can't believe my doc never checked! Especially with my history. So I am a bit upset about that.

I would love to hear from someone with medication induced seizures, or someone that can give me a clue why my EEG may have been normal.

Thanks.

rhyanen

Old 07-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Rose&Music

Smile

Hi! My seizures show up on an EEG. But, one of my friends has Simple Partial Seizures. His does not show up on an EEG. I have simple partial & complex partial & temporal lobe seizures. Mine happen during my sleep most of the time. I take Tegretol & Lamictal. When I was on Keppra & Neurontin not long ago, it just made my seizures worse. I hope they can see at least one of your seizures on an EEG. So, they can help you!

Rose

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #3
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
Wellbutrin is known as the seizure drug. There have been cases where people who are prone to have seizures have had them induced by Wellbutrin as well as those with no known seizure history having them when on Wellbutrin. To the other poster regarding normal EEGs and epilepsy, my first EEG was normal but I was doagnosed properly anyway. To have the EEG be normal, without spikes, is not unusual beacuse it depends on how deep the focus is in relation to the scalp electrodes. Oftentimes, it is too deep to be detected or there may be no seizure activity occurring at the time of the test. So, to have a negative ot normal EEG and still have epilepsy is not unusual.I have Complex Partial but had surgery 4 years ago. Doing great seizure wise! Tattoo

Old 07-21-2002, 09:04 AM   #4

^enigma^ HB User
I actually think that is faily normal to not have the EEG show anything. I have had 3 so far. 2 sleep deprived which came back normal and the 3rd i havent gotten the results back on but it really doesnt matter to me. Im just glad they finally willing to help me. For 2.5 years I was told either I am normal or I have anxiety.

What it took for them to notice that there is something really wrong is for me to have a real bad seizure that messed with a lot of things. I am pretty much having to relearn how to type(I type all day for a living so before I was really fast and accuate) and im having to concentrate about left and right now. Very strange.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:55 AM   #5

rhyanen HB User
Enigma,

Can seizures cause any function loss at all? I realize that around the time of my seizures, I tend to feel more weak and fatigued. I also feel nauseated afterwards for a few hours, and commonly wake up with sore muscles.

I also get major brain fog and tend to feel imbalanced. I wonder if it is the seizures or something else going on. Strange.

rhyanen

Old 07-29-2002, 07:47 AM   #6

^enigma^ HB User
i get basically the same feelings. I get very tired and weak, even more afterwards. I normally have to go to sleep or at least rest after one. I also get the brain fog and cant think clearly. Sometimes forgetting things i know or who someone is or where i am at(in extreme cases). I think this is all caused by my seizures but i am definately no expert.

Good luck to you, and i think you have come to the right place for answers and support.

Closed Thread