It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 02:49 PM   #1

hayley's mom HB User
Post What is an aura? How can I teach my daughter to watch for them?

I am new to this message board, well all message boards actually, until today. I have read numerous messages and have heard a lot of you talk about "auras". I don't know for sure if I understand what they are. Is it some kind of signal your body gives you that a seizure may be forthcoming? My daughter has seizures and although she is only 19 months old, I would appreciate any kind of information about how to maybe see when one is coming or to teach her to tell me when she is older. Wishing you all health and happiness. Thanks you! Cathy

Old 07-23-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Hello! My aura used to be blurry vision. Once my eyes started getting blurry I usually had enough time to stop what I was doing and get in bed before my seizures would hit. I now have none. I can be fine and talking one second and the next fall face first into a seizure. I believe everyone is different on how they feel before hand. Its defiantely looking into for your daughters sake! Does she get real quiet before one, or anything like that?? Keep us posted and welcome to the board!!! There are some real great people on this board!!!!!!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2002, 08:44 PM   #3

hayley's mom HB User
Smile

Thank you so much Lisa. Since she is only 19 months old, it is hard to tell what is maybe a sign and what is maybe just normal development. She does new things daily. Mind you, her last seizure which was just on the 9th, I kept thinking she just didn't look right to me. She seemed a little dazed at times. This is something I definately will be looking for as maybe she knew she felt a little off. It is so hard with little ones because they can't tell you anything. Thank you for your help.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:28 PM   #4

cyndie53 HB User
Dear Hayleys mom,
Hi My name is Cyndie. I noticed that you are from Clovis, Ca. We are from Coarsegold (just up the road a piece). We are seriously considering changing neurologists. I am not sure if I am allowed to ask who you use, as I am new to this. If I am, allowed to ask, would you recommend yours? Are you satisfied with him/her? I am not exactly sure how this is done.
Thank you,
Cyndie

Old 07-31-2002, 12:14 PM   #5

hayley's mom HB User
Hi Cindie! Of course you can ask me We go to Children's Hospital in Madera and her neurologist is Dr. Terry Hutchison 353-6215. We are very satisfied with him. He is a wonderful man with a heart of gold and paitence to match! Good luck! Health and happiness to you and yours!

Old 08-01-2002, 12:20 AM   #6

cyndie53 HB User
Thank you Hayleys mom,
As a matter of fact he (Dr. Hutchinson) was the one MD that was just recommended to us. I am glad to hear that you have confidence in him. Nikaya, my grand- daughter has had one fiasco after another in the past year and we need to get things straightened out asap.
She will soon be getting CVRC services, and speech therapy. She was miss diagnosed the first time at Valley Childrens after the inital head injury. Anyway enough of our woes. Just grateful for your input. Support is such a helpful thing.
Thank you again,
Cyndie

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 08-06-2002).]

Closed Thread