It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2002, 09:28 AM   #1
Inactive

Draven7 HB User
Unhappy Epileptic and pregnant

I just found out a couple of days ago that I am pregnant. I also have epilepsy, I'm on a medication called Lamictal. I'm so confused about what I'm going to do. On the one hand I really want to keep the child, but I want to make sure that my medication hasn't had any negative effects on the fetus. Then again on the other hand maybe I shouldn't keep it, because how can you be sure of anything? I'd love to keep this child, but it was a surprise and I don't know if I'm prepared, I'd want to give it everything in the world. I'm so confused! Help!

Old 06-26-2002, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi there! I am also pregnant & it was also a surprise. As soon as I found out that I was pregnant I started to get off of my meds. I was on Neurontin & Tegratol. I am not suggesting that you quite your meds but I do think that if you think that you want to keep this baby then you need to speak with your Dr. about it & then make a choice. I have not had a seizure almost my entire pregnancy 7 they say that sometimes is the case in pregnancy! I will be thinking of you & please let us know how things go for you. & even though you are not sure how you feel about this I still want to say CONGRATS to you!

Hugs to you!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM   #3
Inactive

Draven7 HB User
I am seriously considering keeping the baby, I love children, this isn't exactly the right time in my life to have a baby, but God doesn't have a time table. I do think that I'll try to go off my meds after I talk to my neurologist, I would just feel safer that way. Also because of the medication that I'm on (Lamictal), it is secreted through the breast milk, and I want to breast feed so I couldn't be on it anyway. Life is very confusing, but I know that if I do have my child, I would bend the world for it.

Old 06-26-2002, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hon,

I agree with Ksavage about this you need to consult your doctor .. it's not everyday we are gifted with such a gift. But if you can figure out how to take care of both you and the child during your pregnancy darling I would say go for it...But you have to be ready emotionally as well. As you know epileptics are high risk mommys and you need to do everything in your power to keep you healthy as well as the little one

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-26-2002, 03:01 PM   #5

casandria HB User
Thankfully, my epilepsy didn't get really bad until a few weeks ago and I was able to have 4 children without it being a concern. However, I can say that if it had been, I still would have tried to have at least one.

For some women, pregnancy makes the seizures more frequent and more severe, but in others it does the opposite. Those hormones are a tricky thing!

You just have to trust God and His plan. He gave you this child and if you can trust Him to keep you both safe, you'll be fine. It won't be easy, but few things in life really are.

As for breastfeeding, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable being off my meds for that long, but you do have some options if you aren't able to. There are breast milk "banks" where lactating women "deposit" milk and people can purchase it. Additionally, raw goats milk (not super easy to find, but I have a great source if you want it) combined with a folic acid and vitamin supplement, is a great substitute for breast milk.

Keep us posted on your decision and what the doc says!

Old 06-26-2002, 06:41 PM   #6

heatherbellamy HB User
I was on meds with all 3 of my kids. I was on Tegretal, they say its the best medication to be on when pregnant.
I was also told the testing said all 3 had downs...if I would have trusted the tests results, I would have aborted 3 healthy children. I was willing to take what God had planed for me, because after all it is the greatest gift anyone can ever recieve. Good Luck and may God Bless you.

------------------
heather

Old 06-29-2002, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Draven! I have been thinking about you wondering how you have been doing! Please keep us posted on things OK? What is your due date by the way? Mine is December 27th. I hope you are felling well.
Thinking of you!
Kim

Old 07-08-2002, 07:00 AM   #8

camie HB User
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Draven7:
I just found out a couple of days ago that I am pregnant. I also have epilepsy, I'm on a medication called Lamictal. I'm so confused about what I'm going to do. On the one hand I really want to keep the child, but I want to make sure that my medication hasn't had any negative effects on the fetus. Then again on the other hand maybe I shouldn't keep it, because how can you be sure of anything? I'd love to keep this child, but it was a surprise and I don't know if I'm prepared, I'd want to give it everything in the world. I'm so confused! Help!
hi ! :-) congratulations on your up coming baby -that is if you keep it. I have had four (4) children with out problem's of any kind from my medicine-i did go off it for the time i was pregant-but went right back on it after delivery. My children are now grown and have their own children and so i am a grandma as well to 5 g kids. ranging from age 13 to on the way. I have been taking dilatin every since i was 16 yrs old and at one time i also was taking phenobaratal as well-but they took me off of that after i was on it for years (A-22) Ask your doctor about your concerns -and god does work on a time table just like the rest of us -thing is he is just better at it than we are.so its time for you to start mother hood -have a great time with the new little one,and do not worry so much- your doctor can tell you all you need to know-and hey if you need to you can take a few classes on how to take care of a new born. they are lots of work and the pay is--(not there) but the rewards are wonderful. and when they are all grown up you can sit back and remember when they were young.ive had seizures since i was 16 -i am now 43 yrs old. and i wouldnt trade my life for any one eles no matter how great it was.i have enjoyed the trip so far-its been rf here and there but you can make it thought it i am sure,so is god other wise you would'nt be writing to us about being pregant. enjoy mom hood, grab it by the horns and hold on your going for the ride of your life and it is so cool. :-) camie

------------------

camie

camie

Old 07-08-2002, 07:17 PM   #9

^enigma^ HB User
i just wanted to add one thing. I cant really talk about E because i dont know much about it yet. and I cant talk about pregnency because i am a male. hehe. But i can talk about children. I have a 3 year old.

The one thing i can say is that you can wait all you want but no one is ever ready for kids. Doesnt matter if you have E or if u are the richest person in the world. It will change your life completely and actually it wont be your life anymore it is the childs. Everything you do will be for him. But dont get me wrong, there is nothing grater than kids! They are the best entertainment you can have and will bring u more happiness than anything else.

Good luck. and i hope you keep us posted even if you decide you dont want to keep it.

Old 08-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #10
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Wink

Hi Draven,

i've had 3 kids, suffer from fits to.
but go for it, you will prob find a bit body change, meaning out of shape,but keep making sure of your health through it. Any concerns never be frightened to ask. Never stopped me........
gave birth to healthy 9lb and over babes.
Go for it Draven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only live once, watch them grow up.
all the best,,,,,
shirlxxxxxx.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #11

Elleigh HB User
Smile

i have had two healthly boys. was on meds, was concerned at first but after talking with a doctor, hey no problem. my boys are in their 20's and no effect what so even on them. great kids. i thought like you at first. maybe i shouldn't have the kids, my primary told me not to. ha, thank goodness i didn't listen to him.

anyways, good luck
el

Closed Thread