It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2002, 03:28 AM   #1

mnsnellers HB User
Unhappy another seizure

Everything had been going great for the last 6 weeks. I was on keppra and dilantin and had finally gotten my seizures under control, no little ones or anything. Then, boom a grand mal reared its ugly head out of no where yesterday afternoon (I've only had 3 grand mals in 18 months, and the other two happened at night). I have to call my Dr today because the last time I saw him he said as soon as I had a seizure to call because we may end up doing surgery again, because I was a prime candidate.

I have 2 questions. First, how do I explain this to my daughters and comfort them. They live with their mother and this is the only big one they have seen, but I was foaming at the mouth, shaking, wet my pants, etc. They understandibly were very shaken up by it. My g/f and I tried to explain it, but I am not sure.

Second the surgery I may have they are going to possibly take out part of the brain and scar tissue that is causing the seizures. I had seizures when I was 14 and had surgery to have a cyst removed from my left temporal lobe. My Dr says that technology has come a long way in 16 years (obviously) and they can now remove the part of the brain that is causing the seizure. I would have to go into the hospital for an extended EEG and go from there. I am worried, because I remember my last surgery all too well, (I was awake for part of it and I remember them cutting my skull and everything) but if it will possibly help stop the seizures, I am all for it. Has anyone had this type of surgery? What kind of luck did you have with it? Any good or bad experiences?

Sorry for the long post and all of the questions, but I had alot to get off my chest and have alot of uncertanties right now.

Thank you and take care
Jason

[This message has been edited by mnsnellers (edited 08-19-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread