It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2002, 11:52 PM   #1

pejohnson HB User
Post Anyone been discharged from the service for having seizures?

Currently I'm enlisted in the US Coast Guard. I have had two grand mal seizures hand have been waiting a year and half to find out what their going to do with me. I'm still waiting. I know in my heart what I want and that is to get out of the Guard. I'm tired of the waiting around and ready to move on with my life. If anyone can help give me advice I would greatly be appreciative.

Old 07-01-2002, 12:42 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Hon,

I would sit down and imagine in your head all the things you want to do.. write them down in the order you want ie jobs what you want to do the most to the least... remember hon you are no different then anyone else so what if you have seizures think that has stopped me from doing what I want? nope sure hasn't infact I am on my way to look for a new job in the las vegas area and I won't let anything get in my way do yourself a favor hon and do the same thing if the guard is not what you want go for the real thing
and don't stop till your old and gray

Hugs
koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2002, 04:46 AM   #3
(male)

mineman HB User
Hi,
Have your doctors talked to you about a med board? If at all possible stay with it until they medically discharge you. If I where you I would NOT except a lump sum disability payment no matter how tempting it seems. Once you take a lump sum your done, you won't be eligible for VA if and when you have trouble with this after discharge. After your out with a medical discharge you can go to the VA and fight to have your disability rating raised. The Navy wanted to medically discharge me with 19 years in, I appealed it until I got 20 so I have disability and retirement.
Right now you need to talk to your senior enlisted advisor, ask him to give the hospital a shove to process a board. No help from the senior, try the senior enlisted at the hospital no matter what service it is. Been there, done this, so any questions please ask. Hang in there and your civilian life will be better with free health care the rest of your life.
Frank

Old 07-03-2002, 04:08 AM   #4

pejohnson HB User
Mineman,
Thank you for the advice. Were you discharged for the same reason? I've let my BM1 and Chief know my feelings towards this retention. I have also been told to talk to VA and legal to make sure I don't get screwed with. Believe me I want a paycheck for the rest of my life. I was planning to make a carreer out of the CG but I know that it will not work out. I have to take care of something at work so I'll get back to you later.

Old 07-05-2002, 06:56 AM   #5
(male)

mineman HB User
I have another health problem but all are treated the same in the military. Just remember, the only way you can be retired medically with pay is by a med board. The VA people are great and will stear you in the right direction. I had 22 operations between 1978 and 1995 and stretched it to 20 years using thier system of appeals so I have my retirement and disability. I don't get paid extra but my disability percentage is tax free income. I was (am) a Chief MNC and helped allot of sailors in your position along the way. Hang in there, the system is slow but you can give it shoves here and there using the chain of command. You want to see things happen? put in a "special request chit" to speak to your Commanding Officer concerning your med problem, be respectful and pass it up the proper chain. I bet you get action before you hit the CO

Old 08-22-2002, 07:43 PM   #6

kutie HB User
Hello, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy after one seizure in the Navy. I waited I believe about 6 mos to 1 year to get out. Had the med board, etc. I got out on 10% disabled. Get 100 bucks a month... They also provide you free medical for your disability, but I go to a civilian doc! Good luck.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #7

ilvgrnbay HB User
Re: Anyone been discharged from the service for having seizures?

Hi I am a CW2 Engineer Warrant Officer active duty I HAVE 19 years in may. I have been just diagnosed with refractory Epilepsy(complex partial seizures). They come and go I JUST FEEL WEIRD but no medicine controls them. I also have a 5.5mm pituitary adenoma. I feel fine and am just curious if anyone knows what type of disability rating I might get. I was hospitilized and video taped and hooked up to all kinds of wires so they could verify the seizures.
Anyone out there with any info to make sure I DONT get screwed please advise. Hell I got four kids and four months ago signed a contract to build a new home.
Thanks and all take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineman
Hi,
Have your doctors talked to you about a med board? If at all possible stay with it until they medically discharge you. If I where you I would NOT except a lump sum disability payment no matter how tempting it seems. Once you take a lump sum your done, you won't be eligible for VA if and when you have trouble with this after discharge. After your out with a medical discharge you can go to the VA and fight to have your disability rating raised. The Navy wanted to medically discharge me with 19 years in, I appealed it until I got 20 so I have disability and retirement.
Right now you need to talk to your senior enlisted advisor, ask him to give the hospital a shove to process a board. No help from the senior, try the senior enlisted at the hospital no matter what service it is. Been there, done this, so any questions please ask. Hang in there and your civilian life will be better with free health care the rest of your life.
Frank

Closed Thread