It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2002, 03:23 PM   #1

y.b HB User
Question Do periods set off siezures?

My siezures are slowly being cured. I only have small siezures now which don't occur very often, however, quite often, I'll have a siezure when my period starts. Does this happen to anyone else, and how do you prevent it?

Old 09-05-2002, 04:44 PM   #2

lulabell HB User
Smile

Hi there,
I don't know if having a period sets off the seizures but mine certainly increase at that time of the month. My Epileptologist says it is because of hormonal changes and body temperatures that cause the increase in frequency of seizures around this time. I don't think you can do anything to stop this happening, just be aware of how it is likely to affect you, maybe keep a not in your diary of when you are due so that you can be prepared. I don't really have much advice on this, I am sorry, but at least you know you are not alone on this one. I hope that things get better for you.

Lulu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2002, 04:44 PM   #3

Tasha L HB User
We've gotten conflicting opinions on this subject. Tasha had her first seizure at age 13 one week after
starting her first period. One doctor says it has nothing to do with it, but her nuero says it does. She
just had a seizure last Thursday at school and she
wasn't on her period. Other times, she has been on her
period. Personally, I think it has something to do
with it. Think about it, your hormones are ragging like
crazy at that time of the month. Anyway, Tahsa is now
starting on Lamictal. She's 17, so I'm hopeing that all
the bad stuff I've heard about for kids under 16 useing this won't happen to her. I hope you can find
some answers to your question. Take care of yourself.
Rhonda

Old 09-05-2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
The term for what you describe is called Catamenial Epilepsy. This is proven fact already. There are also threads here re this subject. Estrogen lowers the seizure threshold and Progesterone raises it. This makes you more vulnerable to having seizure when the estrogen level is higher like just prior to your period until the level drops. There should be no disagreement re this subject since the data is NOT still out. It is proven already. Some believe that the fluid retention/edema also plays a part and a diuretic is taken by some, Diamox. I always had a Complex Partial seizure just before my period. Tattoo

Closed Thread