It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #1

dutchymom HB User
Exclamation Sister just found out she has epilepsy, help!

Hi everyone, my sister just found out about two weeks ago that she's probably had it for a very long time, but no one ever put it all together until she had a seizure two weeks ago. I went over because her son called me because his mom was breathing funny. When I got there, she looked very dazed and her tonque was numb (because she had bitten it very badly) so she was talking funny. It was like she was looking right past me. She was also very tired, but slowly she came around.

She saw a neuro a day or so later and he's put her on something starting like Div , don't know the full name. A few days after she started this she got very bloated and her bowels were very sore and spasming like crazy, her doc told her that could happen, the neuro said no he didn't think it was the med. The funny thing is for the last two years or more, everyone, including her doc thought she was in menopause because she was getting attacks mid month and when her period started, that felt like panics. When she saw the neuro after the seizure he said no, they were small seizures triggered by hormones. All this time and who knew? We were lucky she wasn't driving!!

It's so scarey for me, because she lives alone with two kids. I worry a lot. Is there hope for her to live a normal life? She also has a blood disorder where her blood clots a lot so she takes coumadin too. What else? Feels like life sucks sometimes!!

Thanks for your help anyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2002, 05:18 AM   #2
Bleubird

I have been having seizures for 3 years. (but denied that i has a problem up untill I had a seizure the other day in front of my 2 girls)I just started going to an Epilepsy support group which has been very helpful. They are probably in your area too. I know when I first inquired about them they sent me an info packet that was just FULL of great info about women and epilepsy.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:08 AM   #3
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
The very first thing that your sister needs to have happen is to have her seizures Correctly diagnosed as to the exact type and then be placed on the medicine for that specific type. In other words, it is so VERY important to be treated correctly. She does not need to waste a lot of time in playing with meds if no thorough testing has been done to determine the type of seizures and if the meds are not controlling/stopping her seizures. An Epileptologist is the best one to treat her after one med fails because they will probably do the testing needed (VEEG)to determine just what is what. An MRI should be done early on to determine if there is a structural problem that could be the cause. Finding a cause is not really necessary if there is no structural abnormality, but making sure there is not a structural cause is definitely necessary since that can produce seizures as well. Epilepsy is by no means a death sentance! More than 2.5 Million Americans have it, but correct treatment is essential. Epilepsy is the most common neurological condition next to headaches. It just has not received the Public's attention as other illnesses have, and the Public is still very ignorant about it. As far as I am concerned, that Public ignorance has been a bigger stumbling block for me that my seizures ever were. At least there is a method of attack when it comes to the seizures. There is none for Public ignorance since each individual member of the Public each controls his own degree of stupidity. Never give up. Tattoo

Closed Thread