It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2002, 11:18 AM   #1

Tasha L HB User
Unhappy losing the battle

the other day I had another seizure. I just feel like I
am losing the battle.Everyone in my junior class can drive but me. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal
but it is to me. I just feel like I am getting left
behind like everyone is moving forward except me.

Old 09-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Tasha,
I know living with Epilepsy must be especially rough at your age. (I am 48, and have had a seizure disorder for one year now.)I can't say anything to make it better, but I CAN say that it is real important to find a supportive friend or family member, and to TALK, TALK, TALK!!! You will need to focus on finding positive alternatives to some of the activities your friends are involved with, like driving.It's going to be alright though....just remember that each of us brings a set of gifts to this life, and that you just can't drive. I wish you luck. Please keep writing. Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2002, 02:43 AM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Tasha,

Don't give up hope hon.. I don't have a job that I loved so much because of my epilepsy. It's my lifes goal to someday return to that job hon and I have never been able to drive I am 38 now. I still went out and bought a car have had it for 4 years now and refuse to sell it. I feel someday maybe they will find a medication that will get our seizures under control. Anytime you need to talk hon I am here..

Hugs
Koko

Old 09-10-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey Tasha,
Are you alright? I've been thinking about you....and saying some prayers. Hope all is well. Kathy

Old 09-10-2002, 09:46 PM   #5

pacemaker HB User
Cool

Hey Tasha L : Hang in there we are all there for
you Is there any kind of support group in your area ?
It helps to talk to your real friends. Take care
of yourself Keep in touch
Peace
Pacemaker

Old 09-10-2002, 11:05 PM   #6
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
Tasha, I was diagnosed in the 9th grade. I had my first Complex Partial sz at school in front of everyone. I know how you feel though re what the others are doing. I was the oldest child, so none of my siblings had driven and I was never one to keep up with the crowd. For some reason, that didn't impress me any. I had the areas I liked and excelled in and concentrated on those. I was in the band all through high school. I was one of the captains of the Flag Corp, taught algebra to the others in my class who did not understand it, got a job at 14 as a Nursing Assistant at the local hospital etc. Those were things I wanted to do, not what the crowd did. Maybe I was more of an individual back then than the kids are now, but the only area that my seizures hampered me I feel was in the area of dating. I was not outgoing nor popular, but I tried to make the most of those areas I liked and could excell in. Your time to get behind the wheel may come late, but if you look at the big picture, how important is that right now? I do understand though. Don't get me wrong. Remember that you dio have skills and abilities that make you an individual just as the others do and you can use those likes, desires, and abilities in any way you choose. It is important to try and get your seizures stopped as soon as possible. That is the goal. I feel we each have to realize what is important to us and give that our all. When we reach a certain age, we begin to notice the differences in each of us and how those differences make us unique and special. I now how you feel, but I found other ways to build my self esteem besides what the crowd did. Try to build on your strengths. The rest will come. I hope this helps. Tattoo

Old 09-11-2002, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
TASHA.....Are you O.K.??????

Old 09-13-2002, 05:16 PM   #8

Tasha L HB User
Tasha is fine! So far, no bad effects with the Lamictal. She wanted me to let everyone know as she is
at the high school football game tonight. She plays
saxaphone in the band. I'm sure she'll be back on this
weekend sometime. Thanks for caring about her.
Her mom, Rhonda

Old 09-15-2002, 12:44 PM   #9

sashasworld HB User
Cool

Tasha, hi, I'm Sasha. I wanted to tell you that as "unfair" as it may seem at your young age, I can put myself right in your shoes, as I dealt with this very same situation.

As tough as it is to live with epilepsy or any condition, trust me, everything will get better in time. Because we're human, we want things done right then and there, and we want everything to just go away and get better, but reality is that it doesn't that way. If it did, then life would be too perfect!

Just stay strong, keep the faith, and I'll be praying for you. I'm 24 now. I had seizures my entire teenage years since the age of three, and wasn't allowed to start driving until I turned 23. I completely feel for you, as I was once where you are now.

No matter how tough life may get, just keep that smile on your face! Things will get better. God Bless You!

*~ Sasha ~* [url="http://www.sashas-world.com"]http://www.sashas-world.com[/url]

Old 09-17-2002, 07:17 PM   #10

AngelDust HB User
Smile

Tasha,

I know exactly what you are going through. I have had seizures since I was 9 month and we might have grown up dealing with similiar situations. When it came to getting my drivers licsense, I had to go through a hassel (I could understand why) to finaly receive it. I was fortunate to be seizure free for 3 years while taking tegratol and had a note from my doctor to support that. Yet, I still had to go through a process with the DMV kinda like an arbitration, which made me feel different because everyone had there liscense at the same time and did not have to feel interrigated.
later after years of driving I had a seizure (at home)and my doctor informed the DMV about it and my liscence was rovoked. I had to be seizure free for 6 months before I was allowed to appeal the rovoke to allow me to drive again. Just know that driving is a privilage but not a privilage if you were to have a seizure while driving and risking yours or someone elses life on the road. While I was unable to drive, I had my friends take me around or my family. I know it's not the greatest thing to feel depended on others, but understand that its NOT bad to get help when you need it. Also, keep your hopes up! I did for 6 months and now I am 26 and have only nocturnal seizures. good luck!

AngelDust

Closed Thread