It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 PM   #1

Amy_J HB User
Exclamation Switching from Dilantin to Tegretol

Please help! I had brain surgery 6/11/02. I have never had a seizure but was placed on Dilantin for preventative reasons. I have been on it since surgery. This week I called my doc to report gum tenderness and joint pain. I've also experienced BAD sleepiness. My doc wants to put me on Tegretol now. But, after what I've read, I wonder if I'm best just to stay on the Dilantin.

Anyone been in a similar situation? I have an EEG in November and am hoping to get off all meds then. Please give me your advice.

Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by Amy_J (edited 09-19-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
What kind of surgery did you have, what type of seizures do you have, And if you are still having seizures then the med you are taking is niot controlling them. It is really difficult to answer properly without the specifics. My first med in the 1960's was Dilantin. It was not for Complex Partials and did not control my seizures. Does Dilantin seem to be helping? It is a very old drug and there are several newer AEDs that seem to have good results. The one that works for you depends on your case, type of seizures, etc. Tegretol seems to benefit those with Complex Partials, but it did have side effects slowing my memory and causing sepression for me. It also dod not stop my seizures. I had surgery after I tried Tegretol. What is best for depends on your type of seizures etc since it is so individualized. Some people also have the VNS done if surgery doesn't stop them completely or if a med can't be found to stop them. With my Cpmplex Partils after surgery, Keppra has been great. No side effects that hinder my quality of life once I got it to the lowest effective dosage for me. Tattoo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2002, 02:19 PM   #3

Amy_J HB User
I had brain surgery for a cavernous angioma. I don't have seizures and never have. I was only placed on Dilantin to prevent seizures after the surgery. What kind of side effects did you experience on Tegretol? I'm a little afraid just to switch over. My doc said I can take my nightly dose of Dilantin and just start the Tegretol the next day. I'm just wondering if maybe I should put up with the side effects I'm having with the Dilantin and stay on that. Or try the tegretol?

Thanks for all the help!

Closed Thread