It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2002, 08:07 AM   #1

lazoo HB User
Post See If This Helps

Hello everyone. My child was diagnosed with complex partial seizures, resulting in status epilepticus. My cild had a severe reaction to carbatrol the initial drug tried. It scared me so badly I was determined to try to find a drug free way to treat this. A friend suggested I call a retired pediatrician to see her thoughts on the matter. She is 104 and just retired the year before! She said she believes idiopathic seizures are triggered by carbohydrates and sugars. The following is what she told me to feed my child and my child has been seizure free since. Meat,eggs, and vegetables seasoned only with salt to taste, nuts and seeds, water only to drink. No potatoes and no corn. No dairy (including butter, cream cheese, etc.) No sugar any form including artificial sweetners. No fruit. No grains (no rice, grits, breads, cereals, etc.) No other seasonings or spices. No chocolate, no citrus. Remember that ketchup, salad dressings, even some bacon, etc. usually all have some form of sugar (high fructose corn syrup). She said to be careful with beans as they can contain a lot of carbs (pintos, limas, kidney, etc.) She believes in eating lots of boiled cabbage, turnips, and collard greens. She said if I didn't believe this could work, I could try it a while then give my child some sugar and see what happens. My child went 45 days without a seizure, so I decided to try an apple and banana one day to see if it truly would trigger seizures. Well, the next day my child was back to approximately 20 seizures in one day. Before this diet, my child had been having seizures every 7 to 10 days. My child is on no medication. While I'm not advocating drug-free for anyone as I feel this illness is very serious, I'm suggesting that if you are having trouble with your seizures give this diet a try. It is not as strict as the ketogenic and you do not have to be admitted to a hospital to try it. Dr. Leila Denmark, who speaks with the heart of Mother Theresa and the mind of a scientist, assured me that my child could live just fine on this diet - she said there are no missing vitamins or minerals. If anyone out there tries this, please post back and let me know if it helps. I told her my child's neurologist told me food had nothing to do with this and even suggested that the medication be given with ice cream or candy. She told me they were absolutely wrong. She also has a book on child rearing if anyone is interested. My prayers are with you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2002, 08:42 AM   #2
Inactive

Tattoo HB User
Thank you for this great information. I have read many posts from other parents, patients, as well as healthcare professionals who believe that sugars, carbs, as well as MSG, artificial sweeteners, and dyes do trigger seizures. I believe it too! That many people can't be wrong. I will copy paste your diet and save it as a document. Great info! Tattoo

Old 09-26-2002, 08:26 PM   #3

lazoo HB User
Tattoo - You seem so knowledgeable and internet savvy. I truly would love to help others as I have been helped. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 09-27-2002).]

Closed Thread