It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2002, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Post sleeping with eyes open and epilepsy?

Hello.
I've had some form of epilepsy for about 8 years, and I've been on medication for it for about a year and a half...
but I have a question- my Mom found me sleeping with my eyes open a couple nights ago, and I know I've done it before. I've read that it could be due to a neurological problem.. So I was wondering if Epilepsy has anything to do with it. I also know that there are certain kind of seizures that just cause a person to suddenly just blankly stare into space, and when thery come out of it, they don't remember anything that happened during that episode...
does anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Old 07-29-2002, 06:10 PM   #2

Kaitie HB User
When I was like two years old, I used to sleep with my eyes open all the time. My aunt said to my mom "You know - I've read that could be a sign of Epilepsy..." and then they both said "nahhh" and went back to their coffee. I had my first of MANY grand mal seizures only five years later at 8 years old. So I think there is a connection altough like you, we've only heard about it through the grapevine. Talk to your neurologist about it...

Kaitie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2002, 03:27 PM   #3
Inactive

emeraldbee HB User
Krista,
The type of seizure you're referring to is called an "absence" seizure, although I've never heard of one occurring while someone was asleep. But, considering all we apparently don't know about epilepsy, anything is possible.

Old 09-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #4

LoveleiOne HB User
Red face

I've never been asked whether or not I sleep with my eyes open. Has anyone ever heard of any definite relationship between that and having epilepsy? I also have a history of sleep paralysis and hypnagognic hallucinations...but that's been under control since I first began taking meds for seizures. That's been about 5-6 yrs now. But my husband has told me that I still sleep with my eyes open sometimes. It's never occurred to me to even mention it to my neurologist.
It really wouldn't be surprising to find that yet another neurological condition is somehow related to epilepsy.
And as we all know, the experts still have a long way to go before they can answer all of our questions. When you think about it, they really haven't come up with all the questions. You have to wonder how long will it take for them to recognize all the components of a seizure disorder and what conditions that co-exist with it, for example migraines and depression.
So many questions...so few answers.

Thanks for listening,

Lorri

Closed Thread