It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2002, 05:18 PM   #1

Series32 HB User
Question Warning Signs

I do have a question, I have not had many seizures and was wondering if there are any warning signs. The few times I have had seizures I dont have much warning at all, maybe a cpl of seconds, but no more. Can anyone shed any light on this, possible warning signs or anything

Old 06-04-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
I think I get a funny smell. I think it is like burnt popcorn or something. It all happens so fast that it is hard for me to remember much. I do have the smell after a seizure for some time & that is how I finally figured out what it smelt like. I have a 7 year old dog that I swear knows when I am going to have one too. He acts very funny & walks circles around me & most of the time he is right. There have been a few times that he has dones this & I have gotten into the floor & layed there forever & nothing ever happen. My husband & I just laugh about it as soon as we realize I am going to be OK. I think that I might mumble things before I have one also. Not to sure but I think I have been told that I do that, but then again, I mumble all the time to myself so that could just be me in my "normal" state LOL! I hope this was some help for you. Good luck & take care.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2002, 08:45 PM   #3

Beth's Mom HB User
Kim - Thanks for verifying that we are not seeing things...we have a golden retriever named Wally who stays closer to Beth's bedroom when he senses that she is close to times for seizures...we have thought he was doggie psychic.
The smell of burnt popcorn is a new one. Interesting also is that my husband loves popcorn and often burns it in the microwave...wonder if Beth has had that smell and did not like it when he burnt corn, thinking a seizure was coming?

New Zealand - Welcome to the message board.
Other things leading up to a seizure in our daughter are that she either has lack of or accelerated appetite, red lines under her eyes, holds left wrist and becomes very grouchy and uncooperative.

Stay with the board as there are some great people on here..
Marilyn

Old 06-04-2002, 09:23 PM   #4

PatM HB User
Wink

When my right eye twitches it is pretty good indication that a grand mall will be on it's way. I sit down, start meditating right away and I let my family or friends in on the secret. i have heard of different smells or a metalic taste occuring before seizures, but have never experienced them myself. you can't allways depend on these warning signs, but they help. btw... there are dog trainers that work with seizure alert dogs. one of the more widely known organizations is named Paws with Cause. this organization usually helps select a pooch that is suited for the person. they prefer large dogs that can stand up, put it's front paws on you, and force you to the ground when it senses the oncoming of a seizure... i belive they have a website... bye

Old 06-05-2002, 12:10 PM   #5

ostiopain HB User
I started haveing siezures at 31. I have an ara (warning) I repeat this sound, walk, one arm gose in the air and down i go. Mine last twenty minutes.
Before 1 I get a *****ling sensation in my back, start sweating, my heart races, breathing increases and I get weak. A grand mal comes on or oborts.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hey ksavage,

I get that same smell when you think about it you breath hard (hyperventalate) during a seizure which in turn opens the blood stream right before so your more sensitive to smells .. so it makes sense to me

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-06-2002, 01:26 AM   #7

Piano HB User
I have a smell that reminds me of white Karate-Pops. And I don't even know if they make white Karate-Pops!

Piano

Old 06-06-2002, 03:05 AM   #8
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Hi,

Yes i can get what you call an aura, which feels like everythings closing in on me in and out, sometimes i get no warning, i go into a daze people speaking to me i have no recollection they are there.
My eyes then go up to the side and off i go into the fit, i fall to the ground shake turn blue have saliva etc......
I usually come round after 2-3 mins but need to sleep after it!!
It sux i hate it!
Bye Shhirley.x.

Old 06-06-2002, 10:51 AM   #9

Beth's Mom HB User
Shirlgirl's seizures sound like our Beth's...
Her eyes roll up to her left, her arms and legs stiffen, she urinates, trembles, saliva drooling out of her mouth, face turns blue, teeth are clamped shut and body gyrates.
They last about 1 1/2 min. then she sleeps for about 2 hours ...usually has two or three separated by the sleep inbetween.Has them once or twice a week.

Beth is not able to answer any questions about the seizures or things leading up to them as she is 23 and about 3.5 mentally. We have observed that she has a very high pain tolerance...she can get blood tests and not flinch once....things that people normally react to she does not.

At present we feel she is malnourished as she only eats potatoes and salty meat beef. Trying to get her back in better health.

Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Beth's Mom (edited 06-06-2002).]

Old 06-06-2002, 01:54 PM   #10

Kimba523 HB User
I get a feeling of deja vu, a metallic taste in my mouth, and it feels like I'm engulfed in a bubble. Then, it's..."Oh, "F-word F-word F-word" and I try to get myself to a safe secluded place like the bathroom. Hope I helped!

Kimba

Old 06-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #11

Texas HB User
Karate-Pops, burnt popcorn. You guys are lucky. I get a really strong smell that is much like a big waft of petrol (gasoline to Americans). Kind of a feeling more than a simple smell. I then hear something that sounds like an extremely high pitched noise, and feel very ill. My hands go clammy and I begin to spit, then I black out. Interestingly I also know about half-an-hour to an hour before hand. I just get a "funny sensation", like I have just had a moment of unreality.

Old 06-15-2002, 10:57 PM   #12

Texas HB User
Karate-Pops, burnt popcorn. You guys are lucky. I get a really strong smell that is much like a big waft of petrol (gasoline to Americans). Kind of a feeling more than a simple smell. I then hear something that sounds like an extremely high pitched noise, and feel very ill. My hands go clammy and I begin to spit, then I black out. Interestingly I also know about half-an-hour to an hour before hand. I just get a "funny sensation", like I have just had a moment of unreality.
On the issue of whether dogs can tell if you will have a seizure, I saw a documentary recently on TV that showed dogs can pick up tiny variations in a smell given off by some people with epilepsy. Dogs have been trained to alert others that their owner is about to have a seizure.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:02 AM   #13
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Unhappy

hi,
Mine generally start with de-javu,but sometimes it's a word,or smell,or metal taste,or my eyes go blurred as If my vision can't take It all in.My left arm hurts,and a sick feeling rising from my abdomen,I think you all know what the sick feeling Is like,It's the worse feeling I've ever had.I also get a bad headache,then sometimes snap out of It and sometimes not..I try to fight It but It alway's win's.The light flickering through railings while moving past them can send me.Just lately I have been waking up with my teeth and jaw hurting so bad from clenching my teeth,God knows what's going on.Marilyn,you say you feel Beth is undernourished,It's just a thought but when I lifted weights,I drunk a supplement every morning,these have most vitamins and minerals in also protein and carbs,they mix in a shaker and taste great.Just a thought.hope you are all as well as can be expected.

Old 07-06-2002, 08:50 AM   #14
Inactive

jamie888 HB User
ya know i get the aura thingy going too.
but the symptoms i get prior are identical to panic/anxiety attacks..

and i have a history of panic/anxiety attacks so when i get them i dont know which is going to come so that is really scarie for me!

i only have had seizures brought on from the strobe lights tho, so even tho that is the only thing that causes them and i get an anxiety attack, i still fear that it could be a seizure instead...

ugggh..i hate this worry and fear all the time!

Old 07-06-2002, 03:33 PM   #15
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

The type of epilepsy I have Is Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.When I had my eeg,It showed activity In my left lobe,but the neuro say's It's probably both lobes.When I get the sick feeling It's undescribeable,the nearest feeling Is the feeling when kicked between the leg's,together with the dizzyness and my arm hurting.I do get pains In my lower abdomen,I can't say whether It's epilepsy or not as my g.p.say's It's irritable bowel,brought on by my worrying,having said that,he admit's he knows nothing about epilepsy,so I'll ask the neuro.I really feel for your daughter,and yourself.
Garry

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 09-18-2002).]

Closed Thread