It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2002, 08:57 AM   #1

starlight_faeri HB User
Post A Visit to the Doctor

I went to the emergency room for a really bad headache. There I had a catscan...and later an MRI. I recently went to the doctor because of this problem. She told me to keep a headache log of my headaches and visual aura things. She also said to record everything out of the ordinary. All of this is pretty weird. I mean no disrespect and all, but I'm a little freaked out. It's all very strange for me. Since she said to record everything that was strange, so, I also thought that maybe I should write down these times where I feel like time stops and I just seem to be hanging in time. When this happened another time, it was gross because I found drool coming out of my mouth. I don't mean to insult anybody either. I apologize if I did. I am very excited about finding out what is wrong with me. THe doctor also put me on Imitrex because she thought it might be migraines and wanted to try me out on it. It hasn't worked at all. Is that a clue that what my problem is isn't a migraine? Or do some medicines not work with people? I'd really like to know since I'm new to this area and stuff. Thanks Samantha

Old 09-29-2002, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Starlight,

Welcome to healthboards, first no appoligies are needed.. we all experienced this when we first found out about having epilepsy so I think they are just normal human reactions.. and to ask questions about the different things is a plus on your part. Even if you DON'T have epilepsy.. will make you aware and not be ignorant to those with it. That is an epileptics biggest enemy is ignorance from others.. so ask all the questions you need myself and others would be happy to answer what we can..

Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2002, 05:53 AM   #3

LoveleiOne HB User
Cool

Hi Starlight,
The biggest thing to remember while you're trying to get answers to your questions...there will probably not be many answers for you. Sorry about that. It sounds pessimistic, but the thing is getting proper treatment.
I've been through all sorts of testing over the past 10 years...I had symptoms of vertigo, headache, being light-headed, etc. At that time no one even asked any questions about my mental health.
I got no real answers, but I was treated for migraines. The thing that accomplished is that the medication treated the undiagnosed sleep paralysis that I had. I had not been diagnosed correctly. After months of testing the neuro that received the results just brushed me off and told me I had migraines...she never asked me any questions or even examined me herself. But she did offer me an rx for Midrin.
That was about 7 yrs ago. I have a neuro that I have lots of confidence in, but still he can't give me all the answers.
The difference now is that I have a doctor who listens to my questions and takes the time needed to discuss my concerns and any problems with my condition.
BTW, I've been on Imitrex for migraines. It worked great if I had pain. But it did nothing for auras or the other issues that I have come to learn are part of TLE.
Hate to tell you, there are probably many meds changes in your future until you reach your comfort zone.

But it's not all bad news. Be aggressive and find a doctor who is motivated. You may not get a name for the condition but you can achieve quality of life.
I'm on Keppra, Prozac and Ativan and life's pretty good. Now I did have a migraine that lasted for a week a couple weeks ago. Went in to my neuro and he made adjustments with the keppra and within a few days, I was doing better.
In an ideal world, they'd hook us up to an eeg or mri and see the problem, name it and cure it. For me and most of my friends with epilepsy, it hasn't been ideal.
Good luck, it can be better.
Take care and make sure that your doctor's focus is taking good care of you, too,

Lovelei

Closed Thread