It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2002, 04:03 AM   #1

Mizen HB User
Question Tegretol & children

Our 8 year old has been weaned off Epilim during the summer holidays, she was on max dose for her weight and age. It was'nt working for her and her hair fell out and she lost a lot of weight. We were happy to change her medication and saw great results from the very first days of taking the Tegretol along side the epilim. She has 6 weeks seizure free while she was being weaned off the Epilim and finally she was only on a small dose of Tegretol a day from mid August. At the end of August she had a major seizure and the does was upped. This has continued over the last month and she is now on 30mls liquid med a day. It has increased from 5ml to 30mls in 4 weeks and after another seizure at school this morning, the Doc was ready to say up the medication another 2.5ml when we said stop. I read someone elses post who said, why take more if its not working, this is what happend we feel with the Epilim, we really do believe she became toxic on it.
Her type of seziure is (they think) partial complex. So does anyone have advice on what other drugs are available before we met the doc again that have been esecially successfull with children with P.C.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2002, 04:20 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Mizen,

Welcome to healthboards.. the tegretol has affects on the kidney and teeth so make sure she is allways checked (her kidney and dentist regular) I lost alot of my teeth as they became very thin I guess is the only way to explain but I am regretting it later in life as it's costing me a fortune to fix the damage hope all goes well

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2002, 08:20 PM   #3

Utahmom HB User
My Son started with Tegretol but it didn't stop the seizures either. He has been on Depakote since and it has worked with no side effects.

Closed Thread