It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2002, 05:01 AM   #1
Inactive

guineapig HB User
Smile still going well with Tegretol XR, I think!

I have been taking the XR version of Tegretol since what MIGHT have been my last siezure in February, have had no problems yet. In fact, that along with the absence of a car (I bike 8+ miles a day, 4 to, 4 from work) has got me in great shape! went down from 230lb. to 195 lb., everyone at home and work sees it, and I feel it!!! Used to wear size 42 waist, now size 38 (really less!)!!

Took the Tegretol level check last week, doctor reports that it stands at '8' (on target!), and that's after downing all three at night (as told to) and getting blood work done in morning. Just pray that the new HMO doesn't hassle me over this!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2002, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Thats awsome news guinea!!!!! congrats..

maybe I should ask about this I used to take tegretol and ended up with a plastic lukemia this was years ago and they took me off it... but the newer med might be different???? I don't know, but my seizures are bad again...

again great news!!!

Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2002, 05:07 AM   #3
Inactive

guineapig HB User
Cool

Thanks for reply, 'koko'. I have been epileptic since about age 6, went off Meds all together for about ten years (age 16 to 25+/-) and had two seizures back-to-back (one that put me in hospital with a moderate concussion!). Generic Tegretol from age 25 to 30, then the doctor gave me this stuff. Still not sure, however. I mean, no E.E.G. has been performed since med change. These HMO doctors seem to use some sort of 'voodoo' approach: "Oh, you're coughing up phleghm? looks like yellow #3, our 'color chart' says it's probably THIS germ, take this antibiotic and see what happens." I say, "Doctor, ever heard of a 'culture test'?" Then they feed you with a story of the 'explosion of technological advances in medicine'. You have to ask who has access to these 'advances'. With this improvement in my health, however, all on my OWN accord, I figure that the HMO's should pay ME for my improved health. My question to you, Koko, Was this aplastic leukemia directly tied to the Tegretol XR, and was extreme weight loss a symptom of this leukemia? (i.e., should I be looking for this?)Thanks again

[This message has been edited by guineapig (edited 10-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by guineapig (edited 10-04-2002).]

Closed Thread