It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2002, 09:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Question Life Alert systems....Are they worth it?

Hi everyone! As some of you know, I am expecting my first child in December & am a bit worried about how things are going to go with a newborn & my seizures. I will be home alone with my baby for about 9 hours a day & am thinking of getting one of these Lefe Alert systems for my home. Can anyone tell me if they have ever used one of theses sytems & how well they work. I have Gran-mals & I am not even 100% sure that I will be able to push the button in time.
Thanks for you r help!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:21 AM   #2
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hiya Kim!

You must be getting so excited! December is just around the corner!!

Honestly I've only ever heard good things about those Life Alert Systems. There are systems over here where people wear something like a watch and when they push the button the paramedics are called. Are you thinking about something like that?

Getting a system like that would probably give you some peace of mind and that in itself would help a lot.

Take care hun! E-mail me when you can. *hugs*

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hey there stranger! Yes that is the type of system that I am looking into. There will be a machine in our house & if I get into trouble & I need help then I have to push a button that I wear around my neck or on my wrist & somebody will start talking to me on the speaker phone & they will also call 911 in my neighborhood & notify my husband & whoever else is on my contact list. I am just wondering if I will even have enough time to push the button before I have a seizure. If we get this we have to sign a 3 year contract & pay $300 to have it installed in our home & then pay $75 a month for the monitoring service. Whish is well worth the money I think IF & only IF I am able to use it. That is my fear. That we will sign all of these agreements & get everything hooked up & when & if I do have a seizure & I am not able to push the button & then it will all be useless for me. That is why I am a bit confused about getting one of these or not. Just wondering if anyone else out there has ever tried one.

Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM   #4
Bleubird

I don't know about the system but I started having my seizure (which are only the grandmals) 3 weeks post pardum. I only get about a 10 second warning so I don't think I could push the button fast enough. I actually just have friends and neighbors check on me every so often to make sure i'm ok.

Good Luck!

Old 10-02-2002, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Could you maybe give me a few safety tips on how to ensure your baby's safety when you seize? I am very concerned about dropping her or falling on her & then as she gets older & in the todler years how do you know that she is not going to get hurt or get into something while you are out? My husband says that I am usualy "out" of it for about 10-15 minutes. That is not seizing time but I gues what you would call somewhat of a recovering time. I am just so worried about all of these things. Everyone tells me how I really need to use a changing table in the nursery & that is one of my first concerns is that my baby will be left for 15-20 minutes unsupervised 3 feet off of the ground. I know that I will not use this changing table. I just wish my friends & family could understand why I am ALREADY worried about these things. It is just something that I can't help. I want everything to be as safe as possible for myself & my baby. I am not due until December 27th so I do have some time to prepare as much as possible for all of the changes that come with a new baby, but as well as the delima of being an Epileptic Mother of a newborn. First time Mom need I add! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
Thank you so much for your help!

[This message has been edited by Ksavage (edited 10-02-2002).]

Old 10-02-2002, 04:33 PM   #6
Bleubird

I go out for about 30 minutes.... i just baby proofed the house ... super baby proof. I actually got on the floor and inspected things all the outlets are covered... got locks on all doors. I have the chairs (kitchen) tied down the the table legs (so she couldn't drag a chair off) I even have these door covers that make it a real pain in the butt for us to get into our room and such ..... but they are on all doors so she can't leave the main area of the house.

My very first seizure I had I was nursing the baby and I made it that every nite feeding after that I was ALWAYS around my husband (since I was not the first time and did fall on her) I wouldn't use a changing table .... I changed her on the floor..... I too was afraid I would seizure and she would be trapped up there.

Its amazing how fast babies actually pick up on "when mommies not feeling well" My daughter now 3 ... is stillin the terrible 2 stage ..... UGH ..... but when I do have a seizure she puts a movie in and sits beside me till I wake up ...

My grandmals are alittle different ... I get that 10 second warning but I do stay conscience during the seizure can hear and sometimes see whats going on around me... just can't do anything about it. I don't go unconscience till after I have bitten my tounge.

Good Luck w/ things!!

Old 10-02-2002, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Kim,

I must say I doubt you would have a clear warning to push the button.. I think I would talk to hubby about this as it is a great concern. Not only being a new mom but being an epileptic and being responsible for another life. Your going to be a great mommy I can tell. But I would have if you can afford it for the first few months a nanny or a very good friend help during the first few months. as thats when your body will be out of wack after the birth and no longer feeding two your system will be out of balance. So having someone there with you would be a good idea.. an alert system may call an ambulance but it won't stop you from dropping the little one. I also think that you will be extra sensitive after the birth and you will probably almost force yourself to not have problems... I can stop some of my own.. but I remember when I was pregnant I was very sensitive to things hard to explain. None of this may have made sense but do talk to your hubby please....

Hugs
Koko

Old 10-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #8

Mommeee HB User
Kim,
As a mom with Epilepsy of a 2 year old, and my second literally due "any day now" (due date 10/30), I have followed these recommendations from the Epilepsy foundation and have found them very helpful.

I often fall during my seizures. What if I have a seizure while I'm feeding my baby?
Feed your baby in a comfortable chair, or on your bed with good back support. Or feed the baby while seated on a pad on the floor. Keep the baby next to your bed at night, and feed her in bed with you. If you are using a bottle, have a family member help you -- one of you can hold the baby and the other can fix the bottle. If you are alone, don't carry the baby to the kitchen -- leave your baby in the crib while you prepare the bottle and bring it back. When your baby is older, always strap her into a high chair or infant seat for feedings.

What is the best way to diaper my baby?
The safest way to dress or diaper a newborn is to sit on the floor with a pad. A changing table is not as safe, but if you use one, be sure to strap your baby on securely. Keep diapers and infant care supplies on every level of the house to limit stair climbing.

How can I safely give my baby a bath?
If you are using a tub, it makes sense to have another person with you when you bathe your baby. When you're alone, give sponge baths on the floor, with a separate bowl of water.

I want to have my baby with me, but I often have seizures. What should I do?
Use an "umbrella stroller" in the house, instead of carrying your baby. Keep toys and baby supplies in different areas of the house so they are there when you need them. Use a playpen or other enclosed area to provide a safe place for your baby to sleep and play when you are caring for him by yourself.

Are there household chores that might be dangerous?
Yes. Avoid holding your baby while you are cooking. Delay ironing or other potentially dangerous activities until another person is there.

Once my baby starts to walk, how can I keep her safe if I have a seizure?
There are many child care books that give parents advice about "child-proofing" a home. It helps to get down on the floor and look at the world like your toddler does. Added factors you need to consider are what happens when you have a seizure, and how often you have seizures. Think about what might happen if you were confused or lost consciousness, even briefly.

Keep outside doors locked, and close inside doors to rooms where your toddler could hurt herself (kitchen or bathroom) if you lose consciousness during a seizure. Use a safety gate across stairs, cover electrical outlets, and get child-proof latches for drawers and cabinets (especially ones where you store medication, sharp objects, or other dangerous substances). Consider an enclosed play area, in the house and outside, where your child can be safe if you have a seizure while you are alone with her. When your child is ready to be toilet-trained, try a child-size "potty chair," not a booster seat on the toilet. Whenever your child is in the bathroom, be sure the toilet is covered and cabinets and drawers are locked.

How can I keep my toddler from walking away if I have a seizure?
If you have seizures that make you confused or unaware, consider using a stroller, a child safety harness, or a wrist bungee cord to keep your child nearby, both at home and when you are outside. This may reduce the risk of your child wandering away if you have a seizure and no one else is there.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
I have had the MedicAlert system installed since I had a really bad seizure in July (status epilepticus). I wear a pendant around my neck. It has gone off twice, when I was giving hugs, and the response was immediate. They don't mind if you accidentally set it off either. I get a fairly long physical warning, but lose my ability to speak pretty early during my seizures, so the system is great for me. If I push the button, the dispatcher comes on and asks if I'm o.k. If I don't answer they try calling me on the phone. If they don't receive an answer they send an ambulance. It's a great system if you receive a long enough warning. Otherwise I think the advice from everyone to change the baby on the floor etc. seems to make the most sense. I'm an OLD Mom...my kids are 28, 26, and 23, and I didn't begin having seizures until a year ago (I'm 48 now). I'm afraid that when I become a Grandmother I won't be allowed to be left alone with the kids. I was lucky enough not to have all your worries until now. Good luck!!! Kathy

Closed Thread