It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2002, 04:10 PM   #1

pretty_kitty HB User
Post Epilepsy and looking for work.

Hello Good People!
I have a question - Is there a place that I can go for epileptic people to try to find work? I want to leave my job, but I don't know where to look for a new job. What's more, I have never had to put that information out there. When I had my first seizure, I was already a part of the company. I don't know whether or not they would have hired me had I had to disclose my condition first.
Is there some kind of employment agency or something that would help me to find new work? Who would I speak to? I don't have any idea. Any thoughts would be helpful. I might be stretching the boundries of possibility, but it never hurts to ask a question.

Old 10-08-2002, 08:49 PM   #2

Mommeee HB User
Well, there's a lot of questions there. What type of work do you do? How controlled are your seizures? Would they be likely to occur at work so that you would have to disclose them? The Epilepsy Foundation website has some good information on employment law and epilepsy. You might want to check it out if you are planning to seek a new job. There are things that employers can legally ask and not, and reasons they can legally decline to hire you and not. I believe that Epilepsy is now covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which means that if you are able to handle the job responsiblilities, then employers are required to consider you with as much weight as other applicants without regard to your disability. Now.....if you are applying to drive a school bus....now that may be another story...*giggle*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2002, 02:18 PM   #3

Abelle HB User
I don't know what state you are from, but I am an HR Administrator in Wisconsin. Yes...I am an evil HR person..muahahahaha...lol

You do NOT NEED to disclose your epilepsy or any other health issue to your employer. In fact, with the ADA by your side, you don't need to say a word. Unless you are going to seek work in an environment where you are putting another person's welfare in danger.

If an Employer looks at you and asks you "Is there any reason why you would not be able to preform the requirements of this position" and there truly are none that you can think of...well, then...there is no reason to even think about holding yourself back!

------------------
"Life is what happens
while you're making
other plans"~John
Lennon
Lennon

Closed Thread