It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2002, 04:45 AM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Post major seizures

Hi All,

I been having some major seizures lately I need some help maybe with advice on other meds .. I cannot take tegretol due to a problem with lukemia I got from it when I was on it before.

hugs
koko

Old 10-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

Hi Koko! I wish I had some advice for for you on you problem you are having with your meds. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you have been having such a rough time with things. I just watched the movie ...First do no harm... on lifetime & it really made me think even worse things about all these meds these Doctors keep cramming down our throats. If you ever get a chance to watch it I highly recomend that you do. It is about the Ketogenic diet & shows the effects of all the meds versus this diet w/out the use of any meds of any kind. I think this diet mainly works in small children (that is all the movie was based on). But hey.....it is worth a few hours of checking into.
I am in my 28th week of pregnancy now & have gone that long almost without a seizure. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I went completely off all my meds for the sake of my baby & I have felt absolutley wonderful. I fear the day that I give birth to my daughter because all I keep hearing is that pregnancy & childbirth is not a cure for Epilepsy & that the seizures will be back. I have a strong feeling that I am going need a lot of support & encourgement from all my great friends hear at the boards. It is going to be a major set-back for me I am affraid. I am not sure if you remember my story or ot but I had only been having seizures for about 6-7 months before I found out I was pregnant. It was almost as if I had just got a little used to the idea (if there is such a thing) of being so dependent on everyone & then BAM! I quite having them. So I have a feeling that it is going to be like starting all over again. Only this time I will also be dealing with a newborn & all the stress that comes with that. This is my first baby & I am clueless as to how to take care of such a little person. I do know that she will be well worth it though.
Sorry my responce turned out to be more about me, but I do want you to know that you are in my thoughts & prayers & I hope things turn around for you real soon.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2002, 10:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User

Hi Koko! I wish I had some advice for for you on you problem you are having with your meds. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you have been having such a rough time with things. I just watched the movie ...First do no harm... on lifetime & it really made me think even worse things about all these meds these Doctors keep cramming down our throats. If you ever get a chance to watch it I highly recomend that you do. It is about the Ketogenic diet & shows the effects of all the meds versus this diet w/out the use of any meds of any kind. I think this diet mainly works in small children (that is all the movie was based on). But hey.....it is worth a few hours of checking into.
I am in my 28th week of pregnancy now & have gone that long almost without a seizure. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I went completely off all my meds for the sake of my baby & I have felt absolutley wonderful. I fear the day that I give birth to my daughter because all I keep hearing is that pregnancy & childbirth is not a cure for Epilepsy & that the seizures will be back. I have a strong feeling that I am going need a lot of support & encourgement from all my great friends hear at the boards. It is going to be a major set-back for me I am affraid. I am not sure if you remember my story or ot but I had only been having seizures for about 6-7 months before I found out I was pregnant. It was almost as if I had just got a little used to the idea (if there is such a thing) of being so dependent on everyone & then BAM! I quite having them. So I have a feeling that it is going to be like starting all over again. Only this time I will also be dealing with a newborn & all the stress that comes with that. This is my first baby & I am clueless as to how to take care of such a little person. I do know that she will be well worth it though.
Sorry my responce turned out to be more about me, but I do want you to know that you are in my thoughts & prayers & I hope things turn around for you real soon.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Sorry for the double post everyone!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 10-13-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Koko,
I'm sorry , but I don't have any advice either....just wanted to send my best wishes for better days. I'll be praying for you. Good luck, Kathy

Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

hi KoKo,
really sorry you're having a badtime.I didn't take to tegretol,It made me ill,no comparison to your problem though.Do you have a doctor you can ask about meds?.I'm not a doctor and we are all different,all I can tell you is what my chart say's.
PARTIAL SIEZURES
simple..........carbamazepine,Acetazolam ide
complex.........Phenytoin,clobazam,
secondary generalized...Valproate,gabapentin,Lamot rigine,
........................Phenobarbitone,p rimidone,Vigabatrin

GENERALIZED SIEZURES
Absences......Ethosuximide,Valproate,Ace tazolamide,
..............Clonazepam,Lamotrigine,

Atonic........Valproate,Acetazolamide,

Tonic clonic.....Carbamazepine,Acetazolamide,
Clonic........Phenytoin,Valproate,Lamotr igine,Phenobarbitone
..............Primidone,

Myoclonic.....Clonazepam,Valproate,Vigab atrin,Acetazolamide
..............Phenobarbitone,Primidone,P iracetam,

Old 10-14-2002, 12:23 PM   #7
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Exclamation

KoKo,
I forgot to say,I only put the info on the page to show you there are alternative drugs,so please see a doctor and let us know how you get on.
luv Garry

Closed Thread