It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2002, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

megster HB User
Lightbulb refuse to take meds

hey everyone,

i've had epilepsy for almost 15 years now (i'm presently 20) and have been on most of the meds and had unsuccessful brain surgery.

i'm at the point in my life where my seizures are not that bad. I just get a little nauxious and then i'm good to go .

because of that, i'm not taking my medication. it's not that i'm trying to be rebellious cause i'm young etc. but frankly, i'd rather live with my little seizures now and then than be putting this anti-convulsants with crazy side effects into my system.
i've had to deal more with the side effects of it all than with the seizures.

do any of you have epilepsy and not take any medication for it?

Old 10-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #2

Mommeee HB User
You don't mind not being able to drive?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2002, 04:46 AM   #3
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User
Hi - is someone (partner,friends or your parents) monitoring your seizures as well as yourself when you are off all meds? I think that would help in the big picture. Hope you are not driving either. I do appreciate not being on drugs as I have taken my daughter off all of them a number of times. Seems some seizures have minds of their own no matter what you do.It is very difficult to have side effects and to feel that the meds aren't helping anyway. Is your doctor supportive? My experience has been that neurologists can never advise you to stop taking drugs, but they at times will support you. Best of luck.......Rebecca's Mom

Old 10-10-2002, 06:41 PM   #4

Piano HB User
Hi, I am medication-free for the moment, until I go to Washington U to see an epilept-whatsis-thingy. I am enjoying a few months of "freedom" as I have never had good experiences with medication. I have only been diagnosed within the past year (but symptomatic for 5yrs) and my neuro is still unsure as to what, with me, exactly constitutes a seizure. Is it the dizziness, the headaches, the confusion? Neither him or I know what's what, which is why I don't think I should be on meds right now. When we've gotten it all straightened out, then okay. But why medicate me when we're not sure of the frequency? They think I have complex partials, but if I do, would I remember them? So I could either be having them every day, or not at all...who knows. Ah, sorry for rambling. It's been a while since I visited the board.

Piano

Old 10-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #5

lazoo HB User
My child is on no medication. Have altered diet and only had 1 day of partial seizures since. See diet recommendations on message entitled Give This A Try on 9-26-02. Would love to know if this helps others. It has also made constant abdominal pain disappear. Amazing!

Old 10-18-2002, 03:54 AM   #6

Zat HB User
I have Complex Partial and am on meds for them. When I would have a seizure I never remembered having one. I didn't even know I had a problem until I had seizures in front of friends and family.

I enjoy my driver's license to much to try going off the meds. I may try in another yr or so, I'll sure hate not driving for that amount of time.

Riding the bus really bites! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif Especially with anxiety.

zat

[This message has been edited by Zat (edited 10-18-2002).]

Old 10-18-2002, 09:20 AM   #7

^enigma^ HB User
Hey megster, I tend to agree with your decision in some ways. Why sacrifice quality of life when the seizures arent so bad right now. Just be carefull and have someone who you trust keeping track of you.

Brad.

Closed Thread