It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2002, 07:19 PM   #1

^enigma^ HB User
Angry Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! I lost my job!

Well, I have read about several of you that have lost your job due to E and thought this would never happen to me because my job has been so great about this whole thing. When I started taking meds for it about 3 months ago I had some very bad reactions.

The 1st med I tried was dylantin which made me break out in a big rash all over my body for a few days untill it got it out of my system. Then I tried depakote, which for about 1.5 months made me so sleepy that I slept all the time. For 2 weeks I was going to work and would have to take a nap during the day for about 2-3hours at about 1 to 2 times a day. They were fine with this and actually paid me for it when I offered to clock out. After 2 weeks of this my boss talked to me and offered to recommend me for short term disability untill I could get the seizures under control and get the meds stabalized. He told me to take as long as I needed and to not worry about my job . Monday will be exactly 3 months that I have been gone from work and this week I started talking to them about coming back to work. Cuz I finally seem to have it all under control. I finally got them to return my call today and they told me that I would not be able to resume my position. I would have to start completely over as if I was just hired on.

This means taking a paycut of about 50% and loosing all the responsibility, seniority, authority that I had! I have been working for this company for over 2 years and was a supervisor there. Ive received numerous awards from them for being an excelent employee and I also developed some software for them that solved a huge problem that they had been trying to fix since before I was working there(which they still use today and havent found anything that would even come close to replacing it). Unfortunately Ive already given them the full rights to the software and I was never paid a dime for it!

I really cant beleive that they did this to me and I think that if I have to start over I would rather do it somewhere else.

Sorry for the long post but I had to vent and you guys have always been so great at listening to me vent.

Thanks for listening.

Brad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey Brad,
Wow...your employers(ex) really suck! I am sorry that you're going through this. All I can do is offer my shoulder for you to cry on. Be well, Kathy

Old 10-17-2002, 10:11 PM   #3

Mommeee HB User
Were you actually out on short term disability? I'm not sure that they can bring you back at a lower position/lower pay. I would check into the human resources laws. There is a website with ADA information. Epilepsy is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Also, I believe they have to get an evaluation done from your doctor to prove that you are unable to do your position in order not to bring you back to that position. I only vaguely know what the legal guidelines are, but they are definately worth checking into.

Old 10-17-2002, 10:33 PM   #4

^enigma^ HB User
You are right about the rules and the reason they are able to this legally is because the FMLA has already expired. That is what actually keeps your current position and payrate. I just took their word for it that it didnt matter since they had been so understanding through the entire thing.

Ive had E since before I started working there but I didnt get a diagnosis untill about 4 or 5 months ago. My manager let me leave many times when i had bad seizures at work(the smaller ones i just rested for a while and then went back to work) without counting it against me. It came as a complete suprise when they said this.

But I just found out after i posted the 1st message that they have been trying to get my software to work since yesterday. And they cant get it working...hahaha. Its been running on my machine at home since I wrote it.

One of the other supers asked me some questions about how to set it up. Thats how i found out. But guess what? If they want my help they gonna have to pay me a good sum of money for it. LOL!!!

I feel much better now.

Old 10-18-2002, 04:07 AM   #5
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Thumbs down

Hi Enigma,
Yeh people suck don't they especially in the workplace! Not that i have experienced this in e life but i know employers can be so cruel and misunderstanding to employees with e. In my opinion don't take people on in the first place!
Enigma i wouldn't bother my sweet little arse about it! I'm sure you can do better and deserve better attitude towards this! People can be so cruel in the world, what if the roles were reversed, how would they like it! As long as your health and yur own are fine nobody else is worth bothering about, you usually find out eventually who your true freinds are..even them will never understand! How can anybody understand what its like to have seizures, nobody and only yourself.
Words of encouragement from me is: in this situation look after numero uno, and if they dont want to know there loss.
Just keep a look out along the way, at least you have been in employment alot able bodied people without medical conditions would rather not work and be on the brew! Good luck in whatever you do
Shirlgirl.x.

Old 10-18-2002, 09:39 AM   #6

Abelle HB User
Unfortunately as a Human Resource Administrator for a mid-sized company, I am one of the bad guys. I knew exactly what they had done to you when I read your first post. All of the hours that you had missed from work and on your short term disability were counted against your FMLA. In short, once FMLA is exhausted, disability or not, termination can occur legally. We try to work with good employees here, but here is the stumbling block that you run into...if you do for one, you HAVE to do the same for another.

Your employer basically, had not much of a choice in terminating you. It totally sucks. But if they make an exception for one employee they open themselves for lawsuits if they don't do the exact same thing for others. Unfortunately there are a lot of deadbeat employees that abuse the FMLA leave, and if your employer made an exception for you, a good employee, then they would run the risk of having to keep all of the other deadbeat ones that are just trying to abuse a system that was put in place to actually try to HELP people with Epilepsy and other health problems. It is a shame, and I see it every day. Frivilous lawsuits by people that shouldn't be entitled to any compensation has warped the system that was set up to help upstanding people such as yourself.

Unfortunately many people don't know the ins and outs of employment law. My sweet boyfriend has TLE and I am well versed in employment law, so I am always going to be watching HIS employers. My advice to ANYONE that has ANY medical problem that requires ANY change in work schedule is that they consult an attorney...first consultations are always free, and although lawyers are expensive, it is worth it in the long run to protect the investment of your time and hardwork in your job and your future. Don't rely on your employers to tell you everything that is legal, or everything that is going on. Unfortunately there are lots of HR people that do not keep current on laws or education that rely on lawyers to tell them what to do...and lots of time that information comes to late to benefit you as the employee. That, perhaps, is what happened in your case,Brad, as it seems like your employers did appreciate the efforts you had put forth for their company.

One thing you MAY want to check out, is if your employer has "bent the rules" for anyone else before...if that is the case, you may have a legal case to pursue.

Again, I hope that everything works out for you in the long run. I am so sorry to see anyone lose their job over something that is so beyond their ability to do anything about. It totally sucks! I can't wait till my bf gets his medical degree so I can pursue another line of work...lol.

Blessings to you~
Anabel

------------------
"Life is what happens
while you're making
other plans"~John
Lennon
Lennon

Old 10-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey Anabel,
You are a GREAT asset to this board. Thank you for helping to point out some of the ins and outs of the other side of the employers rules. Kathy

Old 10-18-2002, 08:38 PM   #8

Piano HB User
Hi all, I was just wondering: Don't the laws vary from state to state, also? It might be worth checking into. You want to hear something that sucks? Last November this guy I work with (a total waste of skin, let me tell you) left his desk drawer open, stuck his foot in it, and fell. He bruised his arm and sued the company (a very large and well-known shipping company) and won. Our Springfield station, therefore, lost our X-Mas bonus. Just a little story about people abusing the judicial system, thereby screwing the people they work with. But hey, what are you gonna do...

Piano

Old 10-18-2002, 09:14 PM   #9

^enigma^ HB User
Many thanks for your post Abelle. I did actually know the laws, i just beleived them when they told me that my job was safe. They actually led me on to beleive that it was and I beleived them. That is I guess one of my many flaws. I trust in people too much sometimes.

But I thank you for your post and you are a good asset to this board.

BTW, I am actually considering helping them getting my software running up there and it is still running on my machine for the time being. The only people it will hurt if I dont is the people I wrote it for, my coworkers, who I am going to miss very much cuz they are very good friends. Iy wouldnt really hurt any of the people that screwed up my job.

Old 10-18-2002, 10:16 PM   #10

Mommeee HB User
Personally, I wouldn't do anything regarding the software unless they are willing to pay you as a consultant.

Jeanne

Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM   #11

Abelle HB User
Hey thanks Kathy, and Brad..that makes me feel good lol!

Yeah, it sometimes helps to see two sides...I mean, there is NO GOOD WAY to take losing one's job, but sometimes, it really alleviates some pressure to know that there are actually reasons for some of the crappy things that happen to us as a result of our jobs and employers. We don't have to like it, but it helps a little to understand.

From what I have seen and experienced so far with my boyfriend's epilepsy, it is very easy to concentrate on some of the suckier things that happen...but we always have knowledge to help provide a minor bit of relief.

It doesn't surprise me at all about the guy tripping on his desk and suing. Some of the most ridiculous and unjust things I have EVER heard are born in employment law. For instance, if an employee drives to work on their own accord to pick up their paycheck, and gets in a car accident on the way to pick up that check (whether it is their fault or anothers) they can collect Workers Comp for all their injuries and time off. I love the one about an outside salesman who decided, after making sales calls in another state, to go out and get wasted beyond all belief. When he got back to his motel room, he couldn't fit the key into the door. He passed out into a nearby snowbank. In the morning when he was found, he had frotbit his hand and had to have it amputated. He sued his employer and won a huge settlement, not to mention legally collected disability for the rest of his life. These things scare the crap out of employers and thus, normal, law abiding people suffer.

I love this board...I hope I can help people in anyway I can and in turn learn a little more how to help Patrick as much as possible.

And Brad, it is touching that you miss the people you work with....just be careful about that software...it may just be a big ace-in-the-hole for you right now. Make sure you really know what you are doing...Good Luck

------------------
"Life is what happens
while you're making
other plans"~John
Lennon
Lennon

Old 10-21-2002, 02:22 PM   #12

DocShadow HB User
Thumbs down

I hear ya. I was having a lot of problems with missing work, and while my boss would never admit to it, I am sure it weighed heavily on his decision to include me in the round of layoffs last year. My butt was covered because I had medical records and doctor's notes, but his butt was covered because he never listed a medical reason for letting me go. It sucks, but nothing I could do about it.

Doc

Closed Thread