It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002, 02:21 PM   #1

pacemaker HB User
Question Seizures While Sleeping ?

I had a Seizure while I slept, It caused other
medical problems also Anybody have anything
similar ??

Old 05-29-2002, 03:52 PM   #2

Kimba523 HB User
The majority of my seizures happen while I'm sleeping. Good thing...I can drive. Bad thing...the bedtime rendevous are hard to try. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif Anyway, what other med problems do you mean? Sleep deprivation? Get back to me.

Kimba http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2002, 02:10 AM   #3

pacemaker HB User
Kimba523:
Would you belive I broke both of my arms at my
shoulder joints. I now have a bionic Rt Arm Joint.
I do have sleep apena possible contributing
factor to the seizure I have been seizure free for
about 1 1/2 yrs
Peace
Pacemaker

------------------

Old 06-02-2002, 10:32 AM   #4

Kimba523 HB User
Did you fall outta bed while seizing? My worst mishap was running into the wall and then while convulsing...repeatedly banging my head into that wall. And, I wonder why I get migraines?
Sleep apnea, huh? Geez...my father had that problem before a restructure surgery. It would scare the beejeezums outta my mom 'cuz he'd just stop breathing. That contributed to his feeling like he never got enough sleep...so I guess it's kinda in correlation w/ sleep deprivation as well because you never really reach that R.E.M. sleep.

Kimba

Old 08-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Inactive

emeraldbee HB User
Hello, everybody

Finally! I find people with a similar problem. I, too, suffer from nocturnal seizures. It is good to know that i don't have to stop driving, because initially my doctor did just that. I had another night seizure recently and thought I had to give up the liscense, which is a bad thing since I need my car for work. Thank goodness I can stay on the road.

Has anyone noted a particular time of night or number of hours after going to sleep? I had noticed that the seizures frequently came on a night when I have stayed up late although noticing tiredness earlier (i.e. just GOT to see the end of this movie or finish that book). Can fatigue be a trigger? My seizures are so inconsistent now(they were more regular, AND further apart, when I didn't take medication)it's been hard for me to get a handle on anything. See ya'll around the board.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #6
Inactive

Karla HB User
Yes I would get seizures during my sleep and at daytime. I hated waking up to a seizure. I don't think there is any worse feeling.

Old 10-23-2002, 02:41 PM   #7

kelgarv HB User
Emaraldbee,
In answer to your question whether fatigue can bring on a seizure, according to my neurologist, lack of sleep can bring on a seizure.

I am brand new to this site, I have to tell you it is soooo nice to find people who have the same problem as I do(nocturnal seizures). It's kind of scary not knowing what you do when you have seizures, I am single so have no one sleeping with me who can tell me. I haven woken up in the morning after having a seizure with scrape marks on my face, the last time I had a seizure I woke up and my arms were extrememly sore and stayed that way for weeks. I thought since I had nocturnal seizures that it meant I was in bed when I had them, well, since I woke up with scrapes on my face I guess that isn't necessarily so.

There are things I am still confused about regarding seizures/epilepsy.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #8
Bleubird

I too only have seizures in my sleep..... although they won't let me drive yet I have injured myself during them too ..... but I get ingured more because my husband will roll me over if I bury my head in my pillow... or I try really hard to bite my arms for some reason so he'll try and keep me from doing that ... although I'm glad he's making sure I am not hurting myself while I seizure I must say it hurts like hell when I come to..... I've pulled a ligament in my leg during a seizure and also cause a fracture in my wrist ... no idea how I did that ...

Old 10-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #9

DocShadow HB User
Quote:
Bad thing...the bedtime rendevous are hard to try.
Yes, I can see how that could be embarrassing. Just ask, "did it move for you too?"

Seriously, I suppose I am lucky that my wife is so supportive... it has scared the bejeebers out of her on several occasions when I have stopped breathing while sleeping (the apnea) or when she has found me passed out in the hallway (the blackouts.) Fortunately, she's been strong for both of us when I was falling apart at the seams.

Doc

Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #10
Inactive

Phoebe HB User
Re: Seizures While Sleeping ?

Bumping for a new member. Phoebe

Old 05-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
(female)

Karapeters HB User

I have seizures right as I am falling asleep and right as I am waking up. The problem is, I have hallucinations that accompany the seizures. They are complex partial seizures. Last night I hallucinated that there were black scorpions coming out of my pillow. I tried to scream but couldn't make a sound. I realized when I was coming out of it that it was a seizure since my eyes were twitching like they had a hundred tics. I was diagnosed with Epilepsy when I was a child. Several EEGs have been done on me. They say I have asymmetrical brain waves.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #12
(female)

abbs HB User
Smile Re: Seizures While Sleeping ?

yeah, i've had only a couple seizures. AND, only in my sleep and they aren't grandma seizures. (Or how ever you spell it.) I guess I'm lucky for this. I'm not even 14 yet, and I was diagnoised with epilepcy last year? Yeah, last year. Its really hard when ppl come over to my house, or me to theirs and they ask y i have a pill box in my room. i usually lie and say "Oh, they're just vitamens." Although I'm getting tired of lieing to my friends. In the end though, other than taking pills twice a day, and having to take an EEG and some other test, (i 4get what it was called tho) i have it pretty good for an epileptic.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

I know I"ve had nocturnal seizures when I wake up with a chewed tongue and the inside of my cheek, and am often wet (humiliating but true)...also have daytime seizures...no real pattern to either, although the seizures when I'm awake are very consistent.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
(male)

tristanthomp HB User

I have never been able to pin down when at what time in the night the seizures occur. I simply remember the moments before I pass out. When I wake up I just know that it happened.

I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone who has nocturnal seizures has ever been to a sleep clinic and if so what did they say? My EEG's and MRI's are all normal so I am just looking for something else to try. It just seems like since they occur only while I sleep that it would have something to do with that.

Relieved to see that there is a place where others understand how and what seizures are like. It's like I am describing a science fiction movie when I tell others what happens.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #15
(male)

Moonrunner72 HB User

I've had sleeping seizures and daytimers too. The one thing that I've noticed is that the seizures seem to come at a time when I am relaxed. That is, if I am working hard physically or mentally with a lot of concentration or effort, the time when I get a break from the work is the time when I have had a lot of my episodes.

I guess it has something to do with the electrodes in my brain not being able to seize as long as I am working hard and concentrating hard on something. Then when lunchtime or breaktime comes, the relaxation kind of lets the brainwaves bounce around and I'll go into a seizure.

I guess that applies to a sleeping seizure as well. I suppose you could be having an intense dream and then when it ends and you are more relaxed, it becomes more likely that you will have a seizure. Then, of course, when you wake up you will know that you had one by that beat up feeling you have. You know, it's that feeling that someone has been beating on you with a baseball bat and they've hit a home run?

Closed Thread