It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2002, 12:18 AM   #1

^enigma^ HB User
Exclamation I hate the flashies!

Went to Wal-Mart tonight and my son and I were playing with the camera's(he is 4 and still gets a kick out of the simple things...lol). By the time we left the electronics section I was feeling very weird and was having a simple partial before we left the store. Then went home and slept for 3 hours.

The meds Im on do a good job of stopping the seizures but flashies still do it for me unless I am so druged up that I cant function.

Whats an epileptic supposed to do? They are everywhere! On 90% of commercials, 50% of TV shows and movies, games, emergency vehicles, sun shinning through the trees, lightning, lights shinning through trees at night, flickering light bulbs, etc, etc...

I wish I had a safe place to go without flashies or like some glasses or something I could wear to block out flashies.

LOL... there is my rant for the night.

Thanks all, hope everyonme stays seizure free!

Brad.

Old 10-21-2002, 06:34 AM   #2

YogaMom HB User
Hi Brad-

I have been reading the posts on this board for a week or so now and it all has been so helpful. My doc thinks I am having simple partial seizures in the temporal lobe and I wonder if you would mind describing one of your typical simple partial seizures? It would help me I think...

You say flashing lights affect you...for me it's running water or things in motion like scrolling down a web page or watching legs move on during a soccer game. I have several of these "episodes" a day.

Thanks much-
YogaMom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2002, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Brad,

It's awfull isn't it.. I have the same problems I wish people would realize specially on TV that there are people with seizure disorders.. it's on the internet too and sometimes I quickly have to leave a site because of this. So I hear what yourt saying...

Koko

Old 10-21-2002, 01:23 PM   #4

Abelle HB User
Sounds do it for my boyfriend. He says anything like a motor running...like a lawnmower or chainsaw sound...triggers things for him. Also, sometimes he has a real problem when he is typing...looking at the keyboard or just the motions of his fingers on the keyboard will do it for him...

------------------
"Life is what happens
while you're making
other plans"~John
Lennon
Lennon

Old 10-25-2002, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey Guys,
Want to hear a really ironic "Flashie" story?!? I was in the Emergency Room, following a seizure, when horns and sirens began to blare and strobe lights began to flash. Apparently it was fire drill day. The nurse came to me and asked me if I wanted to cover my ears, since I was suffering the dreaded post-seizure headache. I said no, but told her I'd really appreciate it if the #@*&^%#ing lights could be turned off before I had another seizure. She acted as if I was from another planet. Apparently the medical books she studied forgot to mention that a great many seizures are set off by the flashies! Be well everyone, Kathy

Closed Thread