It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2002, 04:40 AM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Post Seizure alert dogs

what do you guys think of seizure alert dogs? I have recently sent for an application I have read that it's expensive to train the dogs and they are not real easy to find.

koko

Old 10-30-2002, 01:27 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
I read today about how the dogs have provided a better life for some people, I am still researching and talking to people about this because I know nothing about how to work with a service dog. I love animals and sometimes animals are better medicine? you never know lately I have had so many seizures and so little money I am not sure what to do LOL. So I might have help with this from a certain company. I really pray this works.. anyway thanks for reading.

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Hi koko,
I haven't had anything to do with them,but I think It's amazing that a dog can sense a siezure coming,and you are right a dog can be good medicine.I know I have a standard poodle,but don't tell anyone eh!.Anyway there is a little piece about alert dogs in this article. [url="http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/index.html"]http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/news/index.html[/url]

take care Garry

Old 10-30-2002, 01:16 PM   #4

Abelle HB User
I am so glad I saw this!

I had two dogs when my boyriend Patrick came from Arizona to Wisconsin to live with me. Patrick has Complx Partial seziures. He has TLE. Patrick was symptom free for 8 years before his seizure episodes started again a few months ago. Patrick's seizures are not often convulsive at all, but he gets disoriented, panicked, lethargic, emotional and his vision is affected. He has "startle" type seizures and headaches, but not full blown grand mals.

We noticed right away that my German Shepard/Huskie mix, Fawn was very, very attentive to Patrick...actually both of my dogs are, but Fawn is younger and a little bit more "sensitive". She hovers around him and we have noticed a definate pattern in that she seems to know instinctively when Patty is feeling a bit funny. He lays down on the couch and Fawnie is right there, her muzzle on his chest. BOTH of the dogs are overly attentive to him when he is laying down, having an episode. I could have a steak in my hand, waving it in the air, and my Fawn will not leave Patty's side.

Both of my girls are rescues from a shelter, but Fawn was one of those dogs that you have to have lots of patience with...rambunctious and schemeing...easily bored...all of the things that they look for when finding a seizure, cancer or drug sniffing dog. Ther is NO DOUBT in my mind that she senses Patricks seziures coming on, and if he happened to suffer from Grand Mals, I know she would be able to sense them, and warn him...

Patrick was not a huge "dog person" when he came to be with me, but now...he wouldn't part with my girls for all the world. He is even a bigger fan of theirs than I am!

------------------
"Life is what happens
while you're making
other plans"~John
Lennon
Lennon

Old 10-30-2002, 03:21 PM   #5
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Garry

Thanks for the link I really appreciate it..

Abelle, I don't know if you have read up on these incredible dogs but I agree fawn sounds like what trainers look for. I have read that trainers will train a dog owned by their client previously to be a service dog and give the dogs ways to warn their masters of an oncoming seizure. You might want to look into that for patrick and fawn.

thank you both for responding

Hugs
Koko

Old 10-30-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Well hi there Auntie Koko!

I do not know anything about the seizure dogs, but I have 2 dogs of my own.....an 8 pound weenie dog & she is worthless unless you want to cuddle & then I have a 140 pound lap baby & he knows before I am going to have a seizure. I have to pay close attention to him but he will start to pace around me & have to be touching me all the time & sometimes he will start to cry. He has had no training & it took Mark & I quite a while to figure out what he was doing. I really think that dogs are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. I think it would be well worth checking into & see what you can find out!
Let us know!
Huggers to you from little Riley!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

Old 10-30-2002, 05:55 PM   #7
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User
Hi - a few years ago we got a guide dog for our daughter, but because she is mentally handicapped as well, she didn't qualify for the grade A dog as she could not take total control of it. I had to do that. Anyway, after about a year and a half of going through the process, we received a golden retriever that was disqualified because it was too timid. We thought that would work for our family.(since we aren't perfect either). Our hope was that the dog would provide companionship for Rebecca and maybe altert me that she was having a seizure, which would allow me more freedom in my home. Beautiful dog and a great program, but we had to return it because it was afraid to go outside on its own, which meant Rebecca inside and me outside with the dog......not a good idea. It was so disappointing, but it was a plan.....my sense is that you have to be the one with total control in order for it to work. You have to be #1 to the dog, so if you have a partner, make sure the dog knows you are in control. I wish it would have worked, but it was worth the effort at the time.......best of luck........Paula
-------------------------

Old 10-30-2002, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Kim!!!!!

A weenie dog huh? lol I think weenie dogs are great friends. But I am looking into a golden lab. I had a golden lab years ago named brandy (she used to smile when she was happy) and she could detect a seizure. We also had a mut dog that an officer brought to my dad in a police car named Harry that could detect seizures. When mom and dad were gone on vacation and I was watching the house and animals I had fallen and really cut my face open during a seizure harry laid by my side till I could get up. He is now up the street at the Inn living the good life LOL he is my neighbors companion now. Anyway I hope to find a very compatible dog give Riley huggers!!!!

Hugs
Koko

Old 10-30-2002, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Thank you paula,

I appreciate the information on the possible downfalls.. I like you though need to try and see what I can do. I would be enrolled into a class with my dog so I know how to be in control. And using the term partner is perfect because it has to be a team to work together I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes...

Hugs
Koko

Old 10-31-2002, 01:41 PM   #10

Abelle HB User
Thanks Koko!

I didn't realize that the trainers would take your own dog and try to help with it if it showed promise...that is really interesting to know....and might be great for our situation.
Lennon

Closed Thread