It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2002, 06:43 AM   #1
Inactive

nebron HB User
Exclamation Please Help!! What is this? Psuedo

Yesterday, I went to take my EEG. Usually all of my EEG's are normal. Well,for the first time the doctor could see seizure activity going on. He said that the activity was not an epilepetic seizure as doctors has been treating me for for years. Althogh sometimes they look like complex partials and sometimes they look like grand mals. They just last longer. They are call psuedo seizures. Which are usually brought on by stress or a big tragedy and he told me that the death of my mom abou 14 years ago probably has a lot to do with.
What in the world is a psuedo seizure. If anyone can give me more information on it. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Hi,
Pseudosiezures,are difficult to distinguish from epileptic siezures.They say these attacks are all in the mind,although usually involuntary and occurring without any concious motivation.The patient has no control over them,and they can be likened to an emotional outburst.The person may fall appear to lose conciousness,and thrash around or lie motionless.These attacks often have some deep rooted emotional basis,and may require psychiatric treatment.They do not respond to drugs for epilepsy.When it is difficult to tell these from an epileptic siezure,patients are admitted to hospital for close observation.(not my words,these are from a medical journal),hope this helps,look after yourself.
garry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2002, 08:39 AM   #3

nkrett HB User
pseudoseizures were also mentioned to me about my daughter. she usually goes close to 6 months then has a grand mal. i found this webpage: [url="http://w3.uokhsc.edu/neuro/division/cope/pseudosz.htm"]http://w3.uokhsc.edu/neuro/division/cope/pseudosz.htm[/url]

it kind of helped me to rule out pseudo for my daughter. has anyone heard about some kind of epilepsy where the seizure occur only in the morning. i think it's called junior myoclonic epilepsy?

Closed Thread