It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 11:48 AM   #1

perryteacher HB User
Post new onset seizures

I am a 32 year old woman who has just experienced new onset seizures.I was visiting friends in Michigan about a week and a half ago when I had a grand mal seizure. I spent 2 days in the hospital before they would release me. I did have a CT scan that came out normal but the EEG I had about 22 hours after the seizure showed seizure activity. I was put on a Dilatin IV drip which burned my arm, made my ears ring, and made me extremely dizzy. The dr. discontinued that and put me on Trileptal...300mg in the am and 300mg in the pm to start with but now I am up to a total of 1200mg/day. My neurologist up here had me get an MRI and another EEG. The MRI came up normal but the EEG again showed seizure activity. I was told to keep take my meds and they would see me on the 26th. I just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar and could shed some light since it will be 3 weeks before I go back to the dr.
Thanks, Kelly

Old 11-07-2002, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Perryteacher,

And welcome to healthboards years ago when I had my first seizure I had the dilantin drip as well I know it hurts. I went through major ups and downs with my seizures as well.. the why me's the what next etc... At that time though they did not have the different meds like they do now. So I was stuck with taking just dilantin and tegretol for many years which in turn really took a tole on my body over the years. My teeth my kidneys and my cuticles would grow over my nails and it hurt.. but the new meds are a little easier on your body these days and they have new technology which sometimes can result in a complete control in seizures. If I wasn't stuck in the middle of know where I'd be asking for more help with my seizures .. right now I am in a small town dealing pretty much on my own. People here do not understand epilepsy. Anyway, if you have a good doctor that wants to help then they should be able to find the right meds etc and keep your seizures under control. I wish you the best of luck and will hope to hear from you again if not often on your progress

Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread