It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
Question Phenobarbital to stop seizures

I currently take 500mg Depakote at night and 1gr Phenobarbital along with it. I take one 250mg Depakote in the morning. I have had 5 seizures in 3 years. Most of the seizures I have (last 3) are at night or in the morning. If I wake up and am "aura free" I will be fine all day. I had two seizures during the day; both times I was having auras after I woke and throughout the day. I did not know what they were. If I wake up and feel auras, I now call into work and go back to sleep. Anyway....

Last night I kept waking up with auras. I had already taken my nightly dose of Phenobarbital & Depakote. I took another 1gr Phenobarbital about 5 hours after the night dose. Well I went back to sleep, the auras completely stopped and I didn't have a seizure.

Should I have not done this? Will doing this occasionally bite me back and trigger a seizure? Will doing this cause the Pheno not to work at current doses over time?

The Depakote doesn't seem to help much but the Dilantin was raising my liver enzymes. I could go almost a year on Dilantin seizure free. Ever since I was put on Depakote, my frequency became closer than ever and I actually had two seizures in my sleep 2 hours apart. All the nuero did after that episode was add the Pheno to the Depakote.

Hereís a breakdown of my seizure activity (all Grand Mal):

When I had my first seizure I was stubborn and didn't go on any meds. It took 7-1/2 months before I had a second seizure on no meds. I then went on 400mg Dilantin. I then went almost a year and had a seizure in my sleep. I was then switched to 750mg Depakote due to raised liver enzymes. I went a little over four months and had the two seizures 2 hours apart in my sleep. I have not had a seizure since the Pheno was added (3 months yesterday).

It's nice having auras as a warning but it also scares me!

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2002, 12:05 PM   #2
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
Unhappy

Just a little update:

I have been sticking to my meds exactly and prescribed and have about 2-4 auras per day. I have had ZERO auras up until the other day when I started having auras in my sleep. I wish I would just have the grand mal and get it over with!

Old 11-08-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
phantom,

you are alot like me however, my seizures are more often. This is due to depression (untreated)..are you depressed? or more stressed lately? I find that a little stress releif helps. meditating to releive the stress... sure won't hurt to try before sleep..

koko

Old 11-08-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
Smile

Yes.....as a matter of fact I have been stressed lately. Maybe that's it. Thanks god the weekend is near! Thanks for the reply.

Closed Thread