It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2002, 06:04 PM   #1

roxieblu HB User
Question VNS?

Hi! I have never posted here before but would like to know if anyone here has the VNS for treating their epilepsy? My doctor is recommending it..I don't really like surgery but if this could help that would be great. Can anyone tell me about how this works? Thanks!

Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 PM   #2
Bleubird

Hello.......

I personally do not have this .. but I have looked into hoping it would be an option for me.... I've talked to probably 10 people that have had this and its worked for probably 7 off them ..... I understand it is a very simple operation... even done as outpatient. THey make a small cut atthe chest to put the device in and another small one at the neck... and connect them at the nerves.

Good luck ...... if you look up Cyberonics on the net you'll get the site that makes these VNS... i'd post the site for you but this site doesn't like that..... they will send you info and a video on this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2002, 11:39 AM   #3

roxieblu HB User
Talking

Thank you I will look for the site....I have read a little about it and the surgery doesn't seem to bad but would just like to hear what someone who has it thinks about it. You mentioned that you know some people who have VNS and it worked for them? My doctor said it can really help control my seizure..also that I might be able to reduce the drugs I'm taking...were they able to? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2002, 01:17 PM   #4
Bleubird

I asked when they answer i'll let you know

Old 11-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Bleubird

Ok......heres one response:

Well I have a vns.over 3 years now,its worked great for me still is i'm seizure-free if i take meds and yes i'm still on meds the vns is not a cure its just a huge boost on helping your seizures.right now i'm on keppra,lamictal,and felbatol.we do hope to drop some meds though.but what the vns does is make the seizures less severe and shortens them.but along with meds i'm seizure-free i do get arous but the don't last very long and they don't bother me they do however scare me sometimes.hope this helps.take care

Old 11-05-2002, 06:38 PM   #6

charlabip HB User
My son(14) had a VNS implant put in 3 years ago and it has really been nice to be able to shorten the seizures by using the magnet. He still has ocassional breakthrough seizures and takes 2 anticonvulsants(Depakote & Carbatrol). It wasn't a cure for us but it is a good thing to have to cut the seizures short. It was an overnight surgery for him because he is one of the youngest patients to have it at that time and it was just to be cautious. It is not a bad procedure at all and well worth the quality of life it gives for him and for us. Good luck from Dallas

Old 11-19-2002, 03:44 PM   #7

roxieblu HB User
Smile

Forgot to mention I did get some materials from cyberonics as well...it is kind of exciting to think that there could be something other then AEDs out there that could help....please thank all you friends for sharing their stories..it sounds really promising.

Old 11-20-2002, 06:54 AM   #8
Bleubird

Glad I could help at all ...... if you get the implant I hope it is a great success for you..... Good Luck!

Closed Thread