It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #1
(male)

Kodo HB User
Question Long term memory problems

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone has a particular problem with their long term memory? I guess for me that would be any information over say 90 days old. I'm sure every one has read or heard about all the problems with memory that the condition and the AEDs can cause, but from what I have researched the bigger problem seems to be short term memory.
As a 40+ male with TLE (uncontrolled) that has been swallowing Dilantin pills for almost 20 years, Ive watched memories of my youth, and later years slowly fade to the point that I have very little left to recall. My Dr cannot provide any answer other than that it probably is caused by a combination of the continuing seizures and drugs.
No other drugs have helped much and Im now in the pipline for a lobectomy, where wallah! there is a risk of more memory loss. I once read that a personality is based on their past experiences. What kind of personality does one have, who has NO past experiences?

Any coments welcome, if not, thanks for reading.

Kodo

Old 11-11-2002, 01:10 PM   #2

lazoo HB User
try some of the other things people have mentioned here or try some of the newer drugs. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
Inactive

curse HB User
I know what you're talking about. I've had brain surgery twice to remove an AVM & been on dilantin since 90'. It will damage your memory. Also each seizure kills brain cells.
At least your memory stays around for 3 months. I forget day to day. Now I may remember something in 6 months or a year. It seems to be dormant. Last time I had numerous big seizures in 2 hours, my oxygen wasn't reaching my brain & it took me a month to remember where I left my keys. It is indeed frustrating, but it could be worse. That's the way I see it.
My Dad had a hemorrhage bleed this year & had brain surgery. His memory is crap, but gets better day to day. He has a good sense of humor though that he never had. In that sense it's better that his personality has changed rather than returned.
Best wishes.

Old 11-20-2002, 07:33 AM   #4

susieq35 HB User
i KNOW THIS IS A SERIOUS SUBJECT MY MEMORY IS SO BAD AFTER ABOUT 30 DAYS I CANT REMEMBER MUCH.THE ONLY GOOD THING I CAN SAY AND I AM NOT BEING SAYING IT CAUSES ALOT OF PROBLEMS BUT I GET TO WATCH THE SAME MOVIE THE GOOD ONES SEVERAL TIMES...JUST ON THE LITE SIDE ON THE OTHER SIDE THERE ARE NEW DRUGS THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO HELP PREVENT MEMORY LOSS...GOOD LUCK

------------------
"Grant me the courage to change the things i can"
Suzie

Closed Thread