It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2002, 07:29 AM   #1

MissingRay HB User
Question How Did You Know That It Was An Absence Seizure?

Alot of you have read my two posts in here about Ray. One is called Sharing My Story, Hopefully Bringing Some Awareness and the other one is called The Story of Ray........

Anyway, I have been having alot of problems with our daughter in school. She is 7 years old and in 2nd. grade. Her teacher and I decided to bring in a child study team because her teacher said that my daughter "stares into space" and she can't get my daughter to snap out of it. The child study team is setting my daughter up with a neuro. to see if she is experiencing possible absence seizures. She will also be getting an IQ test done to see if she has some type of learning disability. Because along with the zoning out, my daughter has a hard time with comprehension, reading, spelling and copying things onto a piece of paper.

My question.....before your children got tests done by a neuro., how did you know that your children were having absence seizures? Did you pick this up or did their teacher or did both of you? What were the warning signs?

Any info. would be appreciated,
Bridgette

------------------
Grieving over my boyfriend, Ray, who passed away from epilepsy on January 31, 2002 at the age of 23.

Ray suffered from myoclonic and grand mal seizures.

Loving father to our seven year old daughter.

Loving father to our daughter, Colleen Rae.

Old 12-13-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
often it can be a teacher who spots the problem. In our case Sam showed a decline at school, was having more and more trouble getting work done etc. He did not feel well, acted differently for him. He had nocturnals, and simple and complex partials though so he had a lot going on in his brain. It took a tonic in front of us for us to think seizures.
When she sees a neuro make sure she gets and EEG. I think the absence show up pretty easily. Even if whe does not have one during it, it should show an abnormal brain wave present.
Know it is hard for you to wait and fear that she may have what her dad had. You know so much more and can help her and get good treatment. Good that the school is wanting to help her do better.

------------------
Son, 11 with Epilepsy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2002, 08:33 AM   #3

MissingRay HB User
Thanks Kayakmom. What you wrote helps alot.
I will definately keep you all informed after all these tests are done.

Bridgette

------------------
Grieving over my boyfriend, Ray, who passed away from epilepsy on January 31, 2002 at the age of 23.

Loving father to our seven year old daughter.

Loving father to our daughter, Colleen Rae.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Good I really want to know what they find.

Closed Thread