It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Question unusually deep sleep - epilepsy related?

Hi, my boyfriend told me that when he was young, he was diagnosed with epilepsy, but that he hasnt had a seisure in like 10 years. I was wondering if him being such a deep sleeper, as he is, could be related to having this. By deep sleeper, I mean that an alarm clock wont even stir him in the morning, I could actualy probably slap him in the face repeatedly without any response. It usually takes me about 10 minutes of shaking him (gently) and telling him to wake up before he finally does, and he wakes up very confused and violent sometimes. In his sleep, he constantly twitches his foot. Could this be related to epilepsy? And, if so, is there anything he could take for it? The not being able to wake up in the morning is making it very hard for him to hold a job because he is always late, or to wake up for things he needs to do. Thank you for any responses.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Hi Devastated. It sounds like it would be a good idea for him to see a neuro for an EEG to see if something is going on. THe twitching in sleep can be normal muscle twitches or a seizure problem so needs to be checked out. Many things can make him sleep so hard. Is he sleeping long enough(going to bed early enough to sleep 8 hours?) Sleep apnea can also make you tired. I have a daughter with out Epilepsy who is very hard to wake up. If she goes to bed earlier it is easier in the am to get her up. I would REALLY advise he seeks a doctor's advice to make sure it is not a medical problem. Good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 05:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

devastated HB User
Thanks so much for your reply Kayakmom. He definately does get enough sleep, usually, if left on his own, he'll wake up after about 12 hours. I'll definately make sure he goes to see a doctor as soon as his medical insurance kicks in (about 2 months). Thanks

Closed Thread