It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 AM   #1
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Exclamation a warning...

Hello everybody,

Happy New Year! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!

I have a small story to tell that took place about 2 weeks ago. I work with a colleague who has grand-mal seizures. He's 19 and doesn't take any medication (he's also not under any doctor supervision). Anyway, just before Christmas my colleague came into work completely, 100% out of it. About 20 minutes later I went into the back stock room and found him having a grand-mal seizure. Luckily there were already a few people with him and the paramedics had been called. He was taken to the hospital where he had further grand-mal fits.

When he came back to work a few days later he said that the ER doc had told him to cut out the alcohol and partying and to start eating more healthily. He was also told to register with a doc and get on some meds (which he hasn't done).

The doc came right out and told my colleague that excessive alcohol intake can/does bring on seizures. A little drink every now and then doesn't hurt but drinking like every night does hurt an epileptic. I personally don't drink/smoke at all.

I'm sure that everybody on this forum already knows this but it can't hurt to have a reminder every now and then can it?

Take care everybody. Best wishes to all!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey Nic,
I am so glad you sent out the warning! I'm afraid that many of the people that post on this board have poor (if ANY) healthcare. I had dealt with four Doc's, including a Neurologist, before I heard anything about drinking bringing on Grand Mal seizures! I was a moderate drinker (maybe two or three glasses of wine in a week), but after Doc #5 told me that some people can't drink at all I realized that most of my grand mals occurred the day after I had a glass of wine. I don't drink anymore!

Medications can also do the same thing. Everyone should also make sure that a Neurologist and/or Pharmacist has double checked to make sure a new med won't mess with your anti-seizure med. I was put on Prozac for depression (I wonder why!?!) Four days after starting to take it I went into status epilepticus (Non-stop seizures.) Five hours later the Docs realized that it was the Prozac that was causing the seizuring. Before that, none of the Docs had heard about such an interaction. We all have too much to lose by not being extra cautious. Be well all, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Hello Kathy!

I'm glad that you thought my warning was a good idea. At first I wasn't sure about saying anything but I'm glad I did.

Take care!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 01-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
I'm glad you did too. Sometimes even one person will read it and realize that partying isn't such a good idea for us "E" People. Hopefully someone learned something. Take care Nic, Kathy

Old 01-13-2003, 02:33 PM   #5

Alyssium HB User
YEs I agree 100%, I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 17 years old, it is somewhat in my family, however my brother who is an alcoholic started having grand-mal seizures about a year ago, he is 5 years older than I, I know his seizures are not from being epileptic but are from in fact from the alcohol. I've told him this. He also was prescribed Dilantin which is what I was prescribed(I not on any medication right now, so I know the ill effects of this drug, it is already bad on your liver and so is being an alcoholic, they tell you not to take it while you drink but he doesn't listen, one or the other is going to end up killing him.

Closed Thread