It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2002, 02:55 AM   #1

AmigaUser HB User
Exclamation Hearing voices

Hi, I'm posting this message on behalf of a friend of mine who has nocturnal epilepsy.

Is it at all known for sufferers to hear voices and other past events? He's been hearing them when he's both awake and asleep and while asleep quite often they've woken him up. When I say "past events" he says things like the telephone ringing.

This has only been happening for the last couple of days and doesn't seem to be getting worse at all but seems to be occuring the same amount.

Many thanks in advance for helping.

------------------
I'm a net surfer and I'm OK, I post all night and I sleep all day...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2002, 12:14 PM   #2
Bleubird

I'd inform the doctor........ i thought i read that somewhere about that being a med. sideeffect. But regardless I'd talk with the doctor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
I'm not sure, but it does sound like a medication side effect. When I was first diagnosed with Epilepsy, I started taking Dilantin, but it made me have panic attacks in the middle of the night, gave me really bad nightmares, and it did this thing where i was between awake and asleep, and i would hear voices....
That stopped when I switched medications...
so, it could be a side effect, if she's on medication.. but definately mention it to the doctor.

~Krista
)

Old 12-11-2002, 10:03 PM   #4

danamae25 HB User
I was DX with daydream epilepsy about 6 yrs ago. I would 'zone out' for like 2minutes at a time and hear voices and have what I called "memories". It is extremely difficult to explain but sounds a lot like what your friend is experiencing. My roommate told me that sometimes I would talk nonsense during these episodes. Never happened when I was asleep however, usually triggered by the bathroom light. Hope it helps!

Old 12-12-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Hi,
When I was on tegretol,I sometimes woke up and I could swear the radio was on and two people were holding a conversation.I could almost tell what they were saying lol.Anyway I was taken off tegretol,and put on lamictal,and up to press...no noises

Old 12-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
It can be from the med sometimes. SOmetimes this is a sign of toxicity....Could also be a form of seizure, depending where the seizures start in the brain. I think it is the Parietal region where hallucinations start...Call the doctor especially since this is a change....

Old 01-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #7

Sweetshay30 HB User
I also hear voices and strange noises. Sometimes it sound like someone just walked in my room and yelled at me....or I will hear the phone ringing when its not. I think its just something that comes along with certain types of epilepsy. He should bring it up to his Doc just in case though. But hes not alone!!!

Old 01-06-2003, 08:21 AM   #8

Lindakatt HB User
I've noticed I often see things moving out of the corner of my eye, and spin my head quickly to see what's there...and it's nothing. It's freaky, and usually happens once a day or so. Anyone else experience anything like this? I have no idea if it's just me or the meds (Dilantin.)

Old 01-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Lindakatt,
I also see things moving out of the corner of my eye! I thought I was going nuts! I'm sorry this is happening to you, but relieved that it is happening to someone else.

Does anyone else have the same symptom....or better yet have an explanation!?! Kathy

Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 PM   #10

zanamun HB User
Hi!
I have experienced the voices and seeing things out of the corner of my eye too. My mom does it too. She used to sleep walk and pass out too, don't know if it's epilepsy but probably is. We used to see white blurs in the living room running down the hall or things in the floor. My dad thought we were crazy cause he never saw them. I guess he still does.hehe

Old 01-08-2003, 02:49 PM   #11

Lindakatt HB User
It's very interesting that you guys also see things out of the corner of your eye...I seriously thought I was losing it!! I haven't had any of that for the last few days, but some days it seems I see things all day long.

Old 01-11-2003, 03:02 AM   #12

mrsash36yrs HB User
HI to all!~ I also see the things out the corner of my eyes. I figured out what it is. I have uncoordinted eye muscles..which mean one moves when the other doesnt for one thing..and the item i see is a still object or light but with my eye muscle moveing my eye when it should not be..like slightly jerking..then that 'still' thing moves!~ I also hear the noises, the phone ring even the tornado sirene for our town..when nothing is there.~! That is the nerves in the ear. They get distorted signals, I have read. Then the mind 'puts a name to it', so to speak. That is my understanding of it, anyway. My sinsus behind my ears fill up and make a tapping noise lately. I first thought it was doors closeing and footsteps i was hearing for several nights. Finealy, in the daytime I had the samething happen and was able to pinpoint the problem. Immediately, i want and used my allergy medication. LOL-This time it wasn't my night seizures. My seizures started as a child. I had Drop Attacks for many years blameing it on low blood sugar only. I never found out what i was having until I was 55 years old and they lasted several minutes and 6 to 8 times a day!~often going to convulsions.My daughter took a vidio of my siezures for the new neurologist.I take Dilatin and Neurotin now. Siezures are often a month apart now, thank God. You can learn alot on the website.....htpp://www.Epilepsy Foundation & www. National Institute of Neurological Disorders & NINDS Epilepsy Information Page. Sweet Blessings to all.p.s. I never drive. I could not bare to hurt anyone else.

Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #13

MrsPepper HB User
Hi. My sight isn't a problem but hearing things is. Whenever I have a seizure the first thing that happens is I hear someone talking, even when I'm alone. As soon as I hear this specific thing I know I'm going to have a seizure as it never changes. I can never remember exactly what I'm hearing though. The seizure ends and the words are forgotten.

Closed Thread