It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2003, 12:50 PM   #1

bjce HB User
Post recently diagnosed

Hello-

I am 30 and I recently had a grand mal seizure for the first time in my life.
What I have discovered after some research is that I have been having "auras" most of my life. In the past, usually during my week off of my BC pills, the left side of my body would go numb, I would feel hot and feverish and have a deja vu experience. I would never lose consciousness and could even function during them. The morning of the grand mal, I had an aura and I had thought it was odd because I wasn't on my week off of BC pills. If I remember correctly, since puberty, the time in my life when I didn't have the aura's was when I was pregnant.
Now, after my EEG "showed signs of seizure activity," according to my doctor,I am on Dilantin and they are working on moving me to a maintenance drug like Trileptal...even though the first time I took Trileptal my face and neck turned beet red and started itching!
I have a few questions from those of you who are experienced with this...1) should I switch to a neurologist instead of this Internal Medicine doctor I have? 2)is there any possibility that my partial seizures could be linked to the hormones in my BC pills? 3) what questions should I be asking of any doctor I have about this issue? 4) Did I mention that I am completely ****** because I can't drive the 5 minutes it takes me, to get to and from work?
Thanks for any input

Old 01-19-2003, 08:31 PM   #2

kipp77 HB User
BJCE,

Coincidently, my "auras" consist of a numbness in my left arm and hand. I think that may have something to do with the location of the vegus nerve.

You have had one grand mal and can no longer drive? In my case, the "aura" gives me enough warning time to pull over and shut down, even if it does not evolve into a grand mal.

In the past, I've heard several stories about young ladies with seizure disorders who had more problems just before their periods, but with you being on BC, I really don't have a clue.

All I know is; best of luck & you are not alone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread