It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2002, 01:07 AM   #1

AngelDust HB User
Post I need some Information about Pregnancy

I would like to know what medication has anyone been on during there pregnancy? I'm very curious about Keppra and Tegratol Xr. If you can give me any insight about your experiences and if you have had seizures during the pregnancy and if whether your baby was born healthy or not? Did the medication cause any effects on your baby or change anything about your delivery? Any information will be appreciated.

Thank you,

AngelDust :Angel:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2002, 05:53 AM   #2

Mommeee HB User
Cool

My baby is due October 30th and I am taking Topamax. So far pretty extensive prenatal testing shows no physical defects. I would be happy to come back and let you know how things turn out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi there! I am due on December 27th & as soon as I found out I was pregnant I took myself off of all meds. I did consult my docotors before doing so & they pretty much left it up to me & my hubby to decide. I do have to tell you though that any of the meds that I have been on did not help my seizures at all so that is one of the reason my doctors said that it would not be too risky for me to go off of them. I was almost 10 weeks pregnant before I knew it & my seizures had completely disapeared. At first I thought that the meds had finally kicked in & was doing some good but come to find out (as far as we can tell anyway) it was the pregnancy that had helped with my seizures. I have been told that in some women pregnancy will help controll them & in my case that is what has done it for me. I feel wonderfull & so far everything looks good with my baby girl. I wish you all the luck in the world & I wish I could have been more helpfull on your questions about the meds. Are you pregnant now or are you thinking about having a baby? Let us know & hang in there! Epileptic women have healthy happy babies every day!
Big hugs to you & wishing everyone a great day!
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 09-03-2002, 11:56 AM   #4

AngelDust HB User
I used to be on Topamax and that was the first drug to have ever worked and kept me seizure free for a year! The problem with topamax was that my quality of life started to decline and I couldn't focus in school or retain new information as well. I had no choice but to take myself off. Another concern about topamax was that it is fairly new and I didn't know of any previous research regarding successful pregnancy while taking that drug so I had a few good reasons to be taken off. I am happy it is working for you and please keep me informed on your pregnancy.

Kim, you did what I ultamately would do if I couldn't find any drugs that has been tested on during pregnancy and worked for controlling seizures. I can't just stop completely, I would need to get tappered off though.
I have heard the same thing that you have about how seizures stop after pregnancy, I have been told by 5 people that they have become seizure free! So, I look forward to that day but will not put myself in that situation until of course, I am ready to have a child. Please keep me updated with your success and I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy...

Thank you both for replying to my board.

AngelDust

Old 09-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #5

Labs-R-4-Me HB User
It is my understanding Tegretol is the medication of choice when having a baby. Monotherapy is preferred also. The harm a medication is going to do to a developing fetus is typically done in the first 3 months.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2002, 07:59 AM   #6

Mommeee HB User
Tegretol was the first drug that I tried to go to before Topamax prior to my (and I stress here "planned") pregnancy. Unfortunately, I was horribly allergic to it. Topamax is still considered "Pregnancy Class C" by the FDA, so what people say is correct. Women like me (and I hope others who take AEDs during pregnancy would do so as well) are registered with the AED pregnancy registry so that in the future drugs like Topamax would not remain "Class C"(meaning there is not enough research). The Neurologists I see are at the University of Pennsylvania and they have seen other women through successful pregnancies with healthy babies on Topamax. The OBGYN that I go two has had two other women on Topamax with successful pregnancies and healthy babies. My decision to get pregnant while taking this medication was definately an educational process and not an accident. My recommendation would be to make sure you do the research that makes you feel comfortable with your decision before deciding to become pregnant. When I had my first daughter, I was medication free after taking Depakote for about 10 years. I had no seizures for the duration of the pregnancy. On the day we brought her home from the hospital, I had a 10 minute grand mal seizure within hours of my discharge from the hospital and I was put back on Depakote immediately. It also happened while I was breastfeeding the baby and the baby dropped (luckily to the couch). It was very traumatic for all.

Jeanne

Old 09-06-2002, 11:26 AM   #7
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Talking

hi angel,

my first pregnancy was with tegratol, they took me off that and introduced me to lamotrigine, as tegretol wasn't for my pregnacy. i was also taking phenytoin which were the only meds i was on at, at the time.
i have 3 kids now, which are growing rapidly now, so my third pregnancy was about 38 weeks and had to be brought on as he was becoming pressure and strain on my body, i did have seizures throughout all my pregnancies but was ok thankfully.
my first was 8lb 7 my second was 10lb 3.5 and my third was 9lb they were all healthy babes.do not worry seek the help you need for your answers i did through past experience and with being epileptic was always the concern. Bye shirlgirl.

Old 11-01-2002, 03:22 PM   #8

Elane HB User
Question

I have been to 3 neurologists who say it's ok for me to have a baby on dilantin (150 mg per/day). I'm still scared and wish I knew someone who has so I can learn from them. Anyone?

Old 11-21-2002, 02:54 PM   #9

MrsPepper HB User
I was off medication for 9 months when I became pregnant with my first child. I was put on Lamotrigine during my second trimester as my seizures started again happening a lot. In my third trimester I started having grand mals as well as complex partial. However my child was born just fine! I also had another child and was on the same drug for the whole pregnancy. I did have a lot more seizures though. My second child was terrific and healthy too!

Old 01-20-2003, 09:03 PM   #10

kutie HB User
I am thinking of becoming pregnant in the next couple of months... I am on 200mg Tegretol XR per day. I only take the med because I have had one seizure in my life about 7 yrs ago. I am wondering if I should ween myself off of the med? There are SO many unanswered questions when it comes to these meds and pregnant women. It doesn't seem as if the doctors are as educated as we need them to be, or maybe there just has not been as much research as needed on this important topic.
I am planning on weening myself off... Does anyone know how when I should start this process? I am very scared!
Karen

Old 01-21-2003, 07:02 AM   #11
Inactive

Karla HB User
I have a friend who took Tegretol throughout her whole pregnancy and the baby was just fine. I did not take any medicine during my pregnancies but I did suffer from seizures daily. My twins and my third one turned out just fine. It is very important that the delivering dr knows that you have epilepsy so they can plan accordingly if you have a seizure during delivery. Also you need to make plans on how to take care of the baby in case you would seiz while holding him/her.

Closed Thread