It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Angry lost knowledge after seizures

My son does not have too many seizures. RIght now he can go 3-4 weeks between and then have form 1 -4 nocturnals. My question is, have any of you noticed that you have lost information after a seizure. I mean things you knew you have to relearn. He has some learning trouble any way, but it seems when he has a bad week with seizures, like last week. We spend a lot of time relearning things like Math. He lost most of the facts he had known the week prior to seizures this time. So frustrating. He will also have less memory of what happened the week he has them in.
Thanks for any help you can give....

Old 01-15-2003, 11:38 AM   #2

sekharp HB User
Lightbulb

Hi. Well, I know that since I had a seizure episode at 16 or 17 (can't remember when), I have a harder time spelling things in my head -- like at a spelling bee where one recites the spelling to someone else. I could write it down, though. (I am a reporter by trade, so I have to recite the spelling of my complicated name for sources all day long. Practice helped me get better but I still struggle sometimes.) Also, I used to be better with multiplication on paper and in my head but now I forget simply how to do it when it involves more than two digits. My short-term memory is pretty bad sometimes too. Now, I don't know how much of this is related to my prolonged seizures as a toddler. After those, there was supposedly some brain damage to the language center, etc. I just know that although I can count backwards in sevens for the neurologist/epileptologist, I have trouble with math and "in-mind" spelling. Sometimes there is also a speech problem. I know you must be frustrated. Good luck and best wishes.

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2003, 01:18 AM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User
I would have memory loss just for the time I was having my seizures and that was it.

Old 01-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #4

kasandrasdad HB User
I was just wondering if your sons doctors(neuro's) have given you a reason for his complex partial seizures??? We got the results from BOO's (Kasandra's) last blood test, and they said everything was negative, and that her Tegretol levels were fine. They just couldn't find out why she still has headaches. We go back in a couple weeks to the Epilepsy Clinic at Strong, so maybe we can find something then. Good Luck...... Talk to you soon..... KasandrasDad

Old 01-21-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
His seizures are listed as Idiopathic, no known cause. MRIs have been normal, he has seizures on or off meds. Still looking for answers...

Closed Thread