It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2003, 09:45 PM   #1

pretty_kitty HB User
Question Driving with seizures

I was wondering if anyone on the board was able to drive with their seizures? I have been seizure free since April, and before that it was about a year and a half. I know that you need to get a doctor's note to be able to think about getting one, but I was just wanting to know how many people are ABLE to do it... Not only be allowed, but drive seizure free..
Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Also, what can anyone tell me about getting insurance? I have a feeling it is way harder than what I had originally thought.
-Kitty

Old 01-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #2

Lindakatt HB User
My doctor (an internist) has told me we'll start trying to get my license back in April (6 months from my last seizure.) He says if I call and bug them enough they may give it back to me early (it's one year here.) I'm also worried about insurance, but was thinking that maybe there is no way the insurance company can find out about this...not sure though. I guess if they can get info about your driving record, they can get any info. Hmmm...

I feel confident that I can drive safely, as I have only had a few "auras" lately and no serious seizures. I mean, what about people with other types of conditions (heart, stroke) who could have an attack while driving?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2003, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi, My Neurologist said he will recommend that I get my license back soon because I have a long warning period before my seizures. I think this would be great, BUT I am afraid because I "lose" my right side....perceptual vision and all, when I begin to seize. I know someone...or more accurately KNEW someone that caused a real bad accident and died himself when he had a seizure. I am very frightened. I agree that many people die of heart attacks and strokes while driving, and I think they should be restricted from driving if their conditions aren't stable, just as we are. As for insurance...I'm not sure. Maybe we should post the question as a new topic. What does everyone think? Kathy

Old 01-06-2003, 03:38 PM   #4

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by pretty_kitty:
I was wondering if anyone on the board was able to drive with their seizures? I have been seizure free since April, and before that it was about a year and a half. I know that you need to get a doctor's note to be able to think about getting one, but I was just wanting to know how many people are ABLE to do it... Not only be allowed, but drive seizure free..
Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Also, what can anyone tell me about getting insurance? I have a feeling it is way harder than what I had originally thought.
-Kitty
Hi Kitty
Just I call the ministry of transprtation and they told me you got to be seizure for one year, and your specalist has right a report to they, and also your do not have to do a road test. About the assurance I do not know. **** Luck with everything

Old 01-07-2003, 10:33 AM   #5

delilah HB User
After recently being diagnosed with epilepsy, this was one of my main questions also. According to my doctor, I should be okay to drive after about two months under medication. However, he did warn me that legally, you are not supposed to drive for six months after your last episode. As for insurance, i'm not sure. I have had insurance for years, so for me, I just pay the monthly without any questions asked. I can't even remember if epilepsy was brought up on my original application. Let me add though, I am still wrangling with my meds. I'm having trouble with Trileptal, and until I feel comfortable, I am not driving.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:05 PM   #6

Shaman HB User
If you are applying for a new insurance policy, a seizure disorder could very well be an issue. Here in CA, every applicant had to answer a series of questions for a new insurance policy including "Have you ever been diagnosed with or ever had a seizure disorder?" Also, in CA any medical professional that treats anyone for a seizure is required by law to inform the DMV. Giving false information on an insurance application is a felony in CA, and grounds for refusing to pay future claims.

If you have insurance already, it is very important that you read your policy and determine if you are obligated to inform your carrier of a seizure disorder. Failure to do so if it is mentioned in your policy may again result in denial of payment for a claim.

In other words, fair or not, seizure disorders (at least in CA) make it difficult to get insurance. If you ask me TDO (too da** old, a common diagnosis in our office after yet another fender bender) is more of a hazard on the road than someone with well controlled epilepsy.

I hope everything works out for you.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Shaman,
Now that you mention it, my Doc said that he doesn't necessarily always report seizures, but insurance companies have their ways of finding out (hospital records, ambulance etc.) I wouldn't risk being dishonest. After all, Insurance Companies seem to own us as it is. Later.....Kathy

Old 01-07-2003, 09:07 PM   #8

pretty_kitty HB User
Thanks everyone,
That is what I had thought myself. As it stands, I do not own a car, or really want one. I am afraid. I do however want to get a licence just to prove that I can have one. (My state ID ran out last month also)

Old 01-13-2003, 01:39 PM   #9

Alyssium HB User
funny my license was never taken away from me, however I have always had an aura atleast a half hour or so in advance, except in my sleep. But I don't drive sleeping. Mine can also be controlled by getting enough sleep and eating right. I consider myself lucky in that respect.

Old 01-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #10

joey joe joe HB User
yeah I have never had my license taken from me. I began driving a month after my seizure. The doctor said as long as my dilantin levels were steady there's no reason i shouldnt be able to

Old 01-21-2003, 06:46 AM   #11

satman HB User
Kitty:
In March, I had an absence siezure, a new complication to my partials that I never had before. As a result, I had a minor accident and pulled my lisence myself, after a long hard discussion with my wife who is an R.N.. She was afraid that with the new twist of things it was just too unpredictable. She was right. Since that time, even after the med increase, I have had a couple of dozen absence siezures and one general. Though I now have a driver for my business, it substantualy affects my income. My wife put it to the heart though when I wined about the income. Of course after the lecture of myself and everyone elses safety, she threw in the I'll still make a lot more money alive than dead. So for the time, until we can get these siezures better controlled, I'm off the road.
God Bless....In HIS Service....Dan

[This message has been edited by satman (edited 01-21-2003).]

Old 01-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #12

bruised HB User
I just wanted to let you know about my brother.He was diagnosed with peti mal seizures 6yrs ago.No one in our family new these were seizures.We just thought,honestly he was on drugs.Until it got worse and worse.Now Gran mal seizures he has.He's had his licence for 4yrs and has TOTALLED 7 cars!I mean TOTAL WRITE OFFS!Someone's been watching over him.He's hit a fire hydrant and a cement wall which he almost drown in if passerbyers didn't stop and pull him out.{that was my car and last car he's totalled]His other one he hit a pole and spilt the car in half and ended up having surgery on his eyelid.He's hit a tree.He's been in the ditch rolled over off the road,He's hit a couple more trees also.He's been very fortuante and others have been lucky as well that he's never hit someone.If he ever did they would be killed instantly.It's like a drunk driver,they always kill before they hurt themselves.He also says he doesn't remember having a seizure.The last thing he remembers is what he did prior to the accidents,which would be searching for a cd and didn't see that tree.I don't know really how seizures really work,All I know is,is I saw him have one in front of me and I freaked out for a week.It really traumatized me.After seeing him have a seizure on the couch makes me wonder what he would be like to be driving and have one.THAT'S SCARY!He's in denial he has it though.He's 22.He just lost his licence couple moths ago for 1 yr.All I can say is I'm glad he's not driving AND OTHER PEOPLE WITH THESE SEIZURES,EVEN THOUGH YOUR TAKING MEDS,sorry,think about what you have may jeapordize other people.Just thought I'd share this.

Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 PM   #13

sherschl HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaman:
If you are applying for a new insurance policy, a seizure disorder could very well be an issue. Here in CA, every applicant had to answer a series of questions for a new insurance policy including "Have you ever been diagnosed with or ever had a seizure disorder?" Also, in CA any medical professional that treats anyone for a seizure is required by law to inform the DMV. Giving false information on an insurance application is a felony in CA, and grounds for refusing to pay future claims.

If you have insurance already, it is very important that you read your policy and determine if you are obligated to inform your carrier of a seizure disorder. Failure to do so if it is mentioned in your policy may again result in denial of payment for a claim.

In other words, fair or not, seizure disorders (at least in CA) make it difficult to get insurance. If you ask me TDO (too da** old, a common diagnosis in our office after yet another fender bender) is more of a hazard on the road than someone with well controlled epilepsy.

I hope everything works out for you.

At the time of my first siezure, I lived in Ca, Afterwards I drove to Florida to stay with my sister,not knowing my license was suspended. I returned after two monthes, My doctor gave me my blood levels to submit, and my license was returned to me. But the doctor also said he felt I would not have another siezure. All my siezures have been gan mal, and at times at get so I lose a few seconds, or I don't know where I am at when I come back.

Closed Thread