It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2003, 02:14 PM   #1

bjce HB User
Question I am so confused!

I have read today's posts and wish I could help! But, I only have more questions!
My doctor is moving me from Dilantin to Depakote...I had a reaction to Trileptal. Anyway, in doing my own "research" for all of the drug information about antiepileptic drugs, Depakote is the only one that discusses the possibilities of severe liver or pancreas damage. What have been your experiences with Depakote? My pharmacist says that all of these drugs pose a threat to the liver, but in searching, Depakote is the only drug that keeps getting mentioned as a possible threat to the liver....anyone have any information? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #2

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by bjce:
I have read today's posts and wish I could help! But, I only have more questions!
My doctor is moving me from Dilantin to Depakote...I had a reaction to Trileptal. Anyway, in doing my own "research" for all of the drug information about antiepileptic drugs, Depakote is the only one that discusses the possibilities of severe liver or pancreas damage. What have been your experiences with Depakote? My pharmacist says that all of these drugs pose a threat to the liver, but in searching, Depakote is the only drug that keeps getting mentioned as a possible threat to the liver....anyone have any information? Thanks!
Hi there
I do not know nothing about this medication but you should Epilepsy Canada or Epilepsy Ontario web sit they have a lot of information about all these medication. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2003, 06:05 PM   #3

Utahmom HB User
My son has been taking Depakote for seven years for seizures. He has a blood test yearly to check for liver damage and to date, has had none....the Depakote takes care of his seizures very well.

------------------
Mother of 15 year old son, Jared, born with Hydrocephalus and takes Depakote for seizures.

Old 01-23-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Yes, it can be a concern with many of the AEDs especially Depakote. Make sure your doc orders blood work every few months, including a liver function test. If you suddenly have vomiting, extreme nasea(sp sorry) or abdominal pain cll the doctor quickly. My son was on it for 6 months. For him it was a pancreatic problem that is why I mentioned the vomiting. There are some drugs which process through the kidneys, like ZOnegran but they pose a risk for kidney stones. All these meds have risks, just make sure you talk with your neuro if new symptoms crop up.. Best wishes. Hope the Depakote helps you...

Old 01-23-2003, 08:07 PM   #5

Piano HB User
You were never warned about the serious effects that Dilantin has on your liver?

Old 01-27-2003, 02:29 PM   #6

mimmy317 HB User
My daughter, was on depakote while she was in high school and it make her very depressed and she slept all the time. We did not realize it was the meds until she was taken off it.

Closed Thread