It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2003, 08:19 AM   #1

sekharp HB User
Red face Complex partial seizures, etc.

Hello, everyone. Amid my thoughts of finally getting this condition under control came two events that have my epileptologist thinking otherwise. I already feel terrible on my Dilantin -- jumpy, clumsy when I am walking and nauseated. But I also don't want to cut down my dose -- against his advice -- and have a worse seizure. (I take 600 mg a day.) My level is 15.7, down from 20 a week or so ago. That's strange because I didn't reduce my dose. Here is what happened: I was at my mother's house, visiting my wife and daughter, when she noticed I was making strange noises in the middle of the night. She described them as gulping and chewing. My mother says we had a conversation about it, though irrational -- something I don't remember. My doctor is sure this was a "nocturnal complex partial seizure." (I was sure that for a while I had some that secondarily generalized because of the injuries I would have in the morning.) A week or so later, at home, I was preparing a tri-tip roast with some teriyaki sauce. In the middle of doing this, I zoned into a "alternate reality," or something, that had me believing that I put a bowl of gross, old spices all over the roast -- an urge to me to throw the whole thing out. It was strange and only lasted a little while, I would guess, but I don't know what would have happened: I could have burned myself on the stove (were it on) or done something disastrous with the oven (it was on). Does any of this sound familiar? My doctor wants me to possibly take *more* Dilantin (yikes!) or add another of "a dozen" AEDs to get this under control. Thanks for your help.

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #2

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by sekharp:
Hello, everyone. Amid my thoughts of finally getting this condition under control came two events that have my epileptologist thinking otherwise. I already feel terrible on my Dilantin -- jumpy, clumsy when I am walking and nauseated. But I also don't want to cut down my dose -- against his advice -- and have a worse seizure. (I take 600 mg a day.) My level is 15.7, down from 20 a week or so ago. That's strange because I didn't reduce my dose. Here is what happened: I was at my mother's house, visiting my wife and daughter, when she noticed I was making strange noises in the middle of the night. She described them as gulping and chewing. My mother says we had a conversation about it, though irrational -- something I don't remember. My doctor is sure this was a "nocturnal complex partial seizure." (I was sure that for a while I had some that secondarily generalized because of the injuries I would have in the morning.) A week or so later, at home, I was preparing a tri-tip roast with some teriyaki sauce. In the middle of doing this, I zoned into a "alternate reality," or something, that had me believing that I put a bowl of gross, old spices all over the roast -- an urge to me to throw the whole thing out. It was strange and only lasted a little while, I would guess, but I don't know what would have happened: I could have burned myself on the stove (were it on) or done something disastrous with the oven (it was on). Does any of this sound familiar? My doctor wants me to possibly take *more* Dilantin (yikes!) or add another of "a dozen" AEDs to get this under control. Thanks for your help.

Hi There
I have simple partials seizures 10 times a month and I am on 200mg of dilantin 600mg of trileptal and 50mg of topomax. Sometime people need a combination of medications to take away the partials seizures.For me it help just a little bit.I cannot take more than 200mg of dilantin because I cannot work properly with my than 200mg of dilantin. I feel like I am somewhere else.Good Luck, and Take Care Of Yourself.

Closed Thread