It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2002, 08:33 PM   #1

YogaMom HB User
Post One more tonight...yoga for controlling seizures

Hi again...I am in one of those writing moods! I wanted to suggest to some of you to try yoga as a method for controlling seizures. I find it helps make mine less frequent (I have them several times a day) if I am faithful in my practice. You don't have to meditate - for me it's just exercise and relaxation. But I think it helps. Don't know why...

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also teach it!

YogaMom (Susan)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 10:03 AM   #2

kelgarv HB User
Yogamom,
Thank you so much for the information. I also have panic attacks which I have been saying for a long time I'm going to start doing yoga for relaxation.

I have read about yoga, am confused between all the types. What kind do you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2002, 12:34 PM   #3

YogaMom HB User
Smile

Hi Kelgarv! I do Iyengar yoga which is a form of hatha yoga, the physical type of yoga. I focus on relaxation, strength and muscular balance. The best way is to find a class with a teacher who has been practicing for at least 10 years, absolute minimum of 5 years. There are a lot of teachers who have practiced yoga for just a few years. I personally think that's not long enough.

There are also lots of good video tapes...one good series is the yoga journal or Gaiam series - look for Rodney Yee or Patricia Walden as the instructor. They have titles like yoga for beginners, yoga for strength, yoga for relaxation...check out your local library!

I know of lots of good books. I actually taught myself from a book. Let me know if you'd like titles. Good luck - I'd love to know how you do!

Susan

Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 AM   #4

kelgarv HB User
Yogamom,
Thanks, I will look into these. I will let you know how I do.
thanks again
Karen

Old 01-28-2003, 11:53 PM   #5

simeone HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by YogaMom:
Hi again...I am in one of those writing moods! I wanted to suggest to some of you to try yoga as a method for controlling seizures. I find it helps make mine less frequent (I have them several times a day) if I am faithful in my practice. You don't have to meditate - for me it's just exercise and relaxation. But I think it helps. Don't know why...

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also teach it!

YogaMom (Susan)
Hi There YogaMom

I was just going to start into yoga if that would help my partials seizures. Thanks for the informations, and I am glad it work for you and I hope it works for me.Good luck and Take Care Of Yourself.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hi YogaMom!

I've been kicking around the idea of taking yoga classes for some time now. A few people told me that its best to avoid large yoga classes. I guess in smaller classes the teacher can spend more time with the students. Would you agree?

Take care!

Nic :dancing:

Closed Thread