It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Post tragic

I think it was sometime in autum,last year that a teenager died by drowning.I know it's a morbid tale but I think it's worth telling.In woodlesford,west yorkshire,nr Leeds,(near my mother-in-law),there is a canal called the aire and calder,It used to be a thriving canal with boats carrying all sorts of cargo for industries.This is all in the past of course and now the canal is for pleasure boat's and old canal boats done up and rented out for holidaying etc.Anyway,when these canal boats want to go up or down inclines,they use locks.They are like two sets of watertight gates.So just suppose you want to go up an incline.You open the first set of gates and the water behind the first set is the same level as your side.You drive in and close the gate.The water behind the second set is higher so the water is leaked into your compartment and the boat rises until you are at the same level as the highest water,the gates are opened and there you have it you're going up an incline.Well round these lock gates are picnic tables and people come to eat and watch the boats.One sunny day a young lad was on his bike was out for a ride and visited the lock.He was very near the canal while still sat on his bike passing the time of day talking to a man,when all of a sudden he fell into the water,the man couldn't believe it as the lad went straight under!,everyone frantically searched for him wondering why there was no movement in the water.He never came up.The lock and canal was searched,the diver's searched everwhere,I think it was over a week later when the poor lads body was recovered he was well down trapped in between the lock.Apparently he had had a siezure and that's why he went straight under,we can only hope he never knew anything,It makes me realize just just how carefull we must all be when out and about,everyone take care!!.

Garry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
YOu are right this is truly tragic...

Closed Thread