It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 02:59 PM   #1

paddyman HB User
Question *Learning Difficulties*

Hello

Ive just come onto this site with a question in mind.
I have had epilepsy since i was a baby and i have always problems learning, and sometimes understanding
material. This means that it takes me longer to
interpret what is being said especially is the language
is more complex. It was probably worse when i was on tregratol. Now i am on topomax, but still not controlled.
Anyone have any thoughts/experiences or ideas?
Or have you been told 'why'by your docs?

Thanks in advance...paddy irish man

Old 01-09-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Paddy,
It's funny, but every time I ask my Doc's about whether the meds are causing the cognitive problems or if it's the seizures themselves I get the same vague answers like, "when we switch these meds we'll know." Well, I've been on Dilantin, Carbatrol and (in the process of starting now)Lamictal. My short term memory, ability to calculate and quick thinking are all out of whack. I'm guessing that the Docs don't really know what causes it. Meanwhile, my feeble mind is about the only thing I can count on At least I can still type! Be well, Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
I know that both the meds and seizures can cause the learning problems. I now teach my son at home. Our first year of homeschooling he changed meds 5 times. I could see with each med how it affected a different part of his learning. Some were really bad for any hard thinking, processing, calulating, one would make it much harder for him to read, etc. On seizure days I know he will not do very well in some subjects or tests, math facts will be lost. Things do clear up on non seizure days somewhat. He also has just be DXd with learning disabilities. In his case they were present before seizures I think, but epilepsy has made them worse.
You can look into a referral for a Neuropsych exam to see if you have learning disabilities or if the seizures or meds are making things worse. THis is often done with testing to determine brain surgery candidacy.
Hang in there and just do the best You can do...

Old 02-08-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

Pearl201se11 HB User
Hi, you can refer to me as Pearl201se11. I have a Learing Disability (LD). When I was about 15 yrs old in 1998 I had eye surgury to correct a lazy eye, ever since I have had petit mal seizures. I am not on medication, haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy (mostly becuase I have only had 1 at home -- all the rest at school) & I have a teacher at school who thinks I am faking.

Last edited by Pearl201se11; 04-26-2004 at 02:34 PM.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:10 AM   #5

simeone HB User
Hi There
I am on Diantin,trileptal,topamax and I also have diffulties with my memory. I have to think before I speak to someone or how to write words. I think all this medications do all those same side affects. We just have to deal with then.It's not easy but we have no choice. Good Luck and Take Care.

Closed Thread