It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2003, 06:32 AM   #1

satman HB User
Post Kangaroo Jack pokes fun at epileptics

[This message has been edited by satman (edited 02-16-2003).]

Old 01-21-2003, 07:04 PM   #2

kipp77 HB User
Thank you Satman. I appreciate the information, and your efforts. Bless you...

- kipp77

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Thumbs up

Many thanks satman. Keep in us informed as to how we can help you out.

Nic

Old 01-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #4

Piano HB User
Hi all, I don't want to be the hated one on this board but...here goes. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm sure I won't be offended. The funniest joke I've heard recently was about epileptics. I won't share it with you, so don't freak out. Yes, I understand we have a serious condition. Yes, I understand it's difficult. But one thing I've learned is to never lose your sense of humor, especially about yourself. Has anyone ever seen Deuce Biggolo? Do you think every group portrayed there started an uproar? Narcoleptics, amputees, grotesquely overweight, Tourette's sufferers, heck, the only thing NOT in there were epileptics. So, in closing, don't be so sensitive. There are people out there who have it worse than us, and still get poked fun at. Learn to laugh at yourself AND your condition. That's the real power we hold.

Piano

Old 01-22-2003, 01:42 PM   #5
Bleubird

Piano....... I agree 100% There is so much on TV that could upset and/or offend someone. I have not seen the movie yet either. But if I wrote to everyone that did something or said something that was offending .... Wow... i would get a major hand cramp I wouldn't let it upset you. I don't really enjoy anthing about epilepsy. And I do believe ppl should be more informed about this condition before they make judgements or anything. But there are far worse things to have.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:59 PM   #6

Alyssium HB User
I have to agree with Piano on this one. At first I was kinda upset but he brings up a very good point.

Old 01-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #7

Piano HB User
Thank you, Bleubird and Alyssium. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm not trying to invalidate Satman's or anyone else's feelings, but we've all got to keep our rationality. Smiles to everyone!

Piano

PS Alyssium, I'm actually a female!

Old 01-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #8

satman HB User

[This message has been edited by satman (edited 02-16-2003).]

Old 01-24-2003, 12:35 PM   #9

Alyssium HB User
My apologies Piano! I thought about that after I wrote that. Thanks for telling me.

Old 01-24-2003, 01:05 PM   #10
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
I also agree with Piano.
It really doesn't bother me when people make jokes about epilepsy.
The only thing that bothers me is if someone personally treats me differently because I have epilepsy.

~Krista
)

------------------

Old 01-24-2003, 05:53 PM   #11

satman HB User
[removed]

[Do not post commercial websites on this forum, for any reason.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-07-2003).]

Old 01-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #12

Lindakatt HB User
Those reviews make it sound as though this goes on throughout the entire movie? Is this true, or is it more of a one-time joke? That kind of makes a difference. One joke is still bad, but at least it isn't the focus of the whole film.

Old 01-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #13
(female)

KP2002 HB User
As I watched the Kangaroo Jack movie with my 7 and 9 year olds the comment about the "epileptic" hit me like a rock. You see my 9 year old was diagnosed with epilepsy nearly two years ago since which we have been open, honest and caring about his condition. When he heard the comment about the "epileptic" he said aloud "What, what did that mean about epileptic?". I felt only concern for my son's feelings but tried to enjoy the rest of the movie. Interestingly, neither my son nor his sister liked the movie one bit.
I would now like to add a different take on this matter. How many people on this board who found the "epileptic" comment offending find the other stereotypical protrayals offending? For example, the older gentleman living in the middle of "nowhere" who was drunk in the afternoon or the black man who was "fat" or the woman who was blonde with all the curves in all the right places especially when her t-shirt was wet or the (Italian) mobster who had to take a vocabulary class on tape or the tall, good-looking, innocent white man. The movie was based on the sterotypes that have been around for awhile. I am concerned that they are being used, especially in a kids comedy. It is unfortunate but a reality that our species has a tendancy to use the "differences" of others to make themselves feel better about the lot they have in life. When all is said and done, I believe this movie attempts to (ironically) appeal to insecurites.

Old 01-26-2003, 05:45 PM   #14

4shar HB User
Smile

Life goes on. I just saw the movie today. Yes I was a little taken back. As I sat there with my 9yr. old daughter I was wondering what she thought, or if she even heard it. I have epilepsy and she is very concerned about me.
Yes, it was uncalled for. I had a friend that had a seizure one day and someone thought that he was drunk. If everyone would talk about it and get it out in the schools to all of the little ones. TALK not make fun of.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:22 PM   #15
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
I received my newsletter from the Epilepsy Foundation this morning via e-mail and they had a warning about the movie. They said that it poked fun at a "vulneralbe population". So not everybody sees it as innocent humor I guess.

Personally I've not seen the movie so I really can't say a whole lot about it. Just wanted to let you all know where the Epilepsy Foundation thinks.

Take care everybody!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Closed Thread