It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002, 11:46 PM   #1
Inactive

Griffy HB User
Post Know when your going to have a siez?

I was just curious, how many of you know when your going to have a siezure? I can tell everytime. I will be talking and my jaw will start shaking for a second or two. My legs will give out and I'll fall to the ground or my body will just have a very small, split second convulsion that only I can notice. I fond it very helpful because all I have to do is lay down and I will not have a siezure.

I have had Epilepsy since I was 13 and during that time span I have had about 10-15 siezures. I am now 21. I take Valporic Acid...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Bleubird

I can tell too.... I start off w/ this stare that makes it so I can't move my eyes. They then start to roll back in my head. I usually have about 10 seconds of this so I have time to wake my husband right before it starts.

I'm 25, started having seizures 3 weeks after my second child (3 yrs ago) I am currently taking Keppra 1500mgs/twice daily and Lamictal 200mgs/twice daily. Have gone 2 months seizure free .....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
I have a wierd feeling, then confusion. I "lose" my right side, so I walk like a drunk. Then I start having trembles on my right side, which ends up with seizing on that side. In the past I'd end up going into a full grand mal from there. BUT, now, because I get such a distinct and long warning period, I carry a vial of Lorazepam (the medicine they give you in the hospital to stop seizures) around my neck. As soon as I feel the seizure coming I take the crushed pill powder. The powder is yucky but it goes to the brain faster. Since starting this procedure my seizures have not progressed to grand mals. THANK GOD!!! The last grand mal I had ended in status epilepticus and four days in the hospital. I would recommend this regime to anyone that has a decent warning period. Ask your Doc about it. It's one of those things that is being researched. They also have a rectal gel that parents can use for their seizuring children. It's a huge breakthrough as far as I'm concerned! Good luck everyone. Kathy

Old 01-04-2003, 10:58 AM   #4

nibozzy HB User
Smile

I have had blackouts before. My onset consists of a strange surges tarting in the stomach spreading its way up inti the arms then towards the head as this is spreading it has a feeling of swelling or a pulsating. The feeling will end in my head and it feels like it is going to explode, as I am gritting my teeth after 30 seconds to a minute it goes away. These auras happen every morning I come home from work and lay down for A nap,but I havent gone into A full seizure since august of 1999.I stay alert and keep an eye on the clock.After 10-20 minutes I am able to fall asleep.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:33 PM   #5

lady_grey HB User
Ach, when I have an aura it usually means the room starts to look inside out. It's hard to describe but the walls start to look wavy and my balance starts to go.

When this happens I can swipe my magnet over my VNS and it will usually keep the seizure at bay. If it's a really tough one I'll hold the magnet there and lay down on the floor. That helps the balance and the walls don't move so much.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #6

Lindakatt HB User
I have an aura, which consists of a weird feeling washing over my entire body (like blood rushing from my face) and I get an uneasy, slightly panicked feeling. Then I start to see things from my past, such as dolls I played with as a child, and other things that I can't pinpoint now. When I see them though, I always think, "Oh yeah...this is what I see." Lately nothing has come after the aura, but before I was on meds I would have a 10 minute or so episode where I would not know what I was doing. Apparently I could function somewhat, but I had no idea what was going on, or what people were saying to me, though I could walk around and talk. I would come out of it slowly, with some confusion for another 10 minutes or so. I haven't had any of those for several months.

[This message has been edited by Lindakatt (edited 01-08-2003).]

Old 01-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #7

TomG HB User
I'd say 90% of the time i know when its coming. The right side of my side feels like its gained 50lbs and is sliding off my face. The best way i've found to describe it is like when you goto the dentist and he numbs you up. Your face/jaw feels like its hanging on the floor.

Old 01-15-2003, 03:58 PM   #8

Elane HB User
Unhappy

Does anyone out there get this? Many times I get this and then do not have a grand mal seizure - instead I will get this a few times throughout the day/night and then I will increase my medication and then it will go away and I'll be dead tired for a few days after:
I will just be talking to someone and totally lose what I'm going to say to the point where I can't even speak. I feel like I know what I want to say but when I talk I say jibberish and I'm so conscious of it that I smile and say sorry to the people I am with. This usually lasts about 15-30 seconds then I'm back to normal. But....if a day starts out like this, I usually get them again and have to go home because I'm nervous I will get a grand mal. I used to get deja vu but I don't get that much anymore. It's really just this. Anyone? thanks.

Old 01-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #9
Inactive

Karla HB User
I get a pressure in my head and a funny smell. It usually hits a couple of min? before my seizure. It is enough time for me to say "Hey, I am going to have a seizure" and then sit down and get ready for it to happen.

Old 02-08-2003, 11:35 PM   #10

bilbostuff HB User
Cool

My aura like others is strange to discribe, I first feel little sparks travel up my back and a feeling of moving forward...get this I only have the seizures (it seems like) after I have a bowel movement..I get up, walk away, and then the "sparking" begins..I do not always know what this feeling is (it would seem by now I would know) I am simply to darn confused..next thing I know I am focusing on sombody and my tounge hurts..and I am exhausted..not just tired exhausted..I also have "post" reactions...Sometimes I thing whowever is talking to me, is actually going after me..
The first time I had a seizure, I actually woke up and hheard the shower running. I went in and it looked like a murder had been committed, blood everywhere, but the water was cold..I started to step in, and felt a stinging, telling me that apparenetly I had fallen in the shower...I went back to bed, woke up and went and got 13 stiches...
The second time, I guess I took off walking out the back door, and woke up walking in the field naked in the snow, as kids were walking to school, I heard my wife in the back ground saying : its me its me....
I went back in and apparently went down again, I woke up in an ambulance with one of the attendents laying next to me. I am not a big guy, but apparently, I picked him up by his belt buckle and his neck raised him over my head and tossed him accross the room...
I felt terrible..he was ok, with the exception a broken nose, and a heck of a lesson..That was over twenty years ago, and many seizures ago...No I apparently "whine" and cry...My wife will not give me details....(different wife) LOL....

------------------
Bilbostuff
Rock on..

Old 02-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #11

skynoel1 HB User
I have had 23 grand mals since august 2002 and have had aura's with all of them, I get this sick feeling in my stomach that rises up into my chest, my brain feels like mush, I lose control of my eyes and my face feels heavy. Before some I have had extreme fatique for hours before the seizure. One I could not stay awake and I slept for 5 hours in the middle of the day and then I had a seizure.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #12

johnspaziano HB User
i can feel a seizure coming as well. other people have referred to having an aura.... i guess thats what i have.... it feels like i can get a rush of blood all over my body... then i feel like my heart starts beating real fast (probably me getting nervous because i kno w it is coming).... then it happens.... i think this is one of the reasons why my VNS is so succesful...it really helps shorten the length of my seizures... i can use my magnet when i feel a seizure coming... it works well .... now i dont get quite as nervous wehn i feel the m coming....just barely.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #13

sherschl HB User
Talking

I take trileptal 300mg. in the morning and 300mg. at night. I have grand-mal siezures, but years apart. I had hours of warning, but didn't know what to do to stop it. It sounded the same way you expressed it. The last one happened at work. I would like to know what I could do to stop it. I have had 5 over 15 years and each one was differant . I am confused as to what I could try to prevent them. I hope someone could help. I am so glad to find this board. You are not alone. God bless.

Closed Thread