It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Post RT sided seizure and post-ictal paralysis

Greetings all,
I was just wondering if anyone else shares some of my seizure pecularities. My last two seizures were on my right side only...like half a grand mal, but I didn't lose consciousness and I didn't have the excrutiating headache afterwards. The other wierd thing is that my right side becomes paralyzed for ten-twenty minutes afterwards. My Neuro said it is part of a syndrome, like a stroke but not a stroke. He said that the paralysis can last for just a few minutes, or as long as months. Has anyone else had the same symptoms/problems during a seizure and afterwards? Kathy

Old 02-11-2003, 07:45 PM   #2

sekharp HB User
Hi. That sounds like what used to happen to me. My doctor classified those as simple partial seizures (hence, no loss of consciousness). (Daytime events responded well to Dilantin, and are now gone.)
Did he mention that maybe the post-ictal feeling is "Todd's Paralysis," which I am told can follow those types of seizures? I remember that feeling too. ... It is terrible. I remember one morning that my whole left side was gone, probably after a seizure like you mentioned. But I am not a physician, and if he is talking about strokes -- but not strokes -- then I wonder if maybe there is some discussion of transient ischemic attacks. Trouble is, from what I've read -- I once had that diagnosis, too -- they don't cause convulsions or shaking, just paralysis, facial drooping, visual disturbances, etc. I guess it depends how you differentiate between the ictal phase -- the shaking you describe -- and the post-ictal paralysis. ... I wish you the best of luck.

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi,
My Doc said my right sided seizures aren't strokes or TIA's at all (I guess I wasn't very clear.) He did say that the paralysis was Todd's something....I just forgot about the name until you reminded me. I hate the right sided seizing because I am aware of not being able to breath. Sad as it sounds I'd rather have my old grand mal seizures because I was totally unaware! Thanks for your response. Kathy

Old 02-12-2003, 10:11 PM   #4

skynoel1 HB User
I am so glad you posted this, I also had this to me after a seizure in January, my left side was affected, I was terrified. My left leg is still weak and my left eye is still drooping alittle. My dr put me on an aspirin a day in case of a stroke. She never said anything about Todds. I go tomorrow to see her and I will have to ask her. One day at a time!

Closed Thread