It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2002, 09:49 AM   #1

ShannonM HB User
Wink Ok, a buncha off the wall questions

Ok, so I dont want you guys to get a bad impression, or think Im all messed up in the head or anything... but heres my questions:

Ok, I will be the first to admit, that I did a lot of drugs in high school. Not so much that I was strung out and couldnt focus on the important things or anything like that... but lets just say I went through a pretty hefty phase with each drug. Im wondering if maybe any of these past experiences could have made me epilepitc? For the last year or so, Ive stopped all the other drugs, and basically just stuck with pot. But I used to be a big fan of acid, shrooms, meth, and coke... could any of these have brought it on?? Might be a stupid question, but I donno, just kinda curious. I just think its so wierd that I can be completely healthy for my whole life, then one day have a seizure disorder... its just hard for me to grasp.

And I still have more questions about the drinking thing... even though I am on my meds... I still cant drink?? Ive always been a partier... but mostly just on the weekends. I will admit, after a long week, I like to get wasted on the weekends with friends... I guess a normal thing for a teenager and college student to do, right? But is this saying that I can never really drink again?? Because honestly, I think thats bull... and call me stubborn and stupid, but Im not gonna stop just because I have some disorder, ya know? "Um, no thanks.. I cant drink.. I have epilepsy" I mean.. WHAT IS THAT?? How much does that suck? Ive never gotten so drunk that I cant take care of myself, or dont know whats going on.. so its nothing like that.. I dont get to the totally obliverious puking stage, I always have control. So I guess Im just looking for some facts, and also opinions about it... from drinkers and non drinkers.

Thanks a bunch guys, Im SO glad I found this site!

Shannon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2002, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Well Shannon, you asked for facts and opinions so here goes! I have read somewhere that there is a link between drugs and seizure disorders. Get on one of the search engines and check and see if you can find more info!!!!! If you are like me, I need to see it in writing before I can grasp that its true.

Drinking! Well I'm no fan of it, but that is also my personel opinion, so no ragging from me! BUT.....you didn't mention if you are on meds????? There is a serious problem. Many of the meds that we take are not to be mixed with alcohol! For example, I'm on dilantin and have serious balance problems and dizziness from the drug itself. The info from the pharmacy says if used with alcohol side effects will become worse! Can't even imagine it being worse.

I'm just beginning to learn all this, but my advice is to lay off the pot and the drinking. Don't chance making your condition worse. Besides, as you get older parties won't be important anymore, but your health will play a major role in your life. Why chance making it worse?

Thats just my opinion.

Good luck and stick with us, there are alot of very knowledgable people on this site who really care.

Take care and party smart!
Lisa

Old 12-30-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
I will add my 2 cents too since you asked. THe meds will not keep you from seizing if you drink alcohol. Most of the AEDs do not mix well with it and cause bad reactions. The other thing is that alcohol can lower the seizure threshold and make it easier to have a seizure. To me it would not be worth it, when you are trying to be seizure free. FInd another way to have fun....just my opinion...

Old 12-30-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hey there Shannon,
When I had my first seizure (at age 47!) my Doc told me to stay away from drugs and alcohol. Then my Neurologist told me that I could have 1 glass of wine or mixed drink, but to be very careful, because each patient is different. I had wine on three different occasions, and eventually noticed that I had a grand mal seizure each time! Drinking is not worth it to me....I don't know about you but my seizures are NOT pleasant! About ten months after my first seizure I became depressed over the changes E forced me into and my regular Doc put me on Prozac. I ended up with statis epilepticus....NOT FUN!!! I was in the hospital for four days and the first thing the Docs did was to take me off of Prozac, and warned me not to take any unprescribed drugs or drink. I even have to call the Doc's before taking cold medicine. They're not being hard-*sses...they're trying to keep me from having dangerous seizures. I realize that you're at prime partying age Shannon. BUT, you are also entering real adulthood, and as boring as that may sound you will find that there are lots of things more exciting than drinking and drugs. My advice (you can tell me to shut-up any time you want!!!) is to hang with friends who will support the choices you have to make because of your illness. After all, would you stand around eating candy and cookies if your friend was a diabetic? Be kind to yourself Shannon. I really do care! Hugs, Kathy

Old 01-03-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
(female)

KP2002 HB User
Dear Shannon,
I believe the brain has a tremendous capacity to heal itself but only if the soul is well. Granted, college is a time for experimentation. Now is the time of great opportunity for you to change your course. Experiment in lifting weights, nature photography or whatever you feel will help you express your true, wonderful self. -kp2002

Old 01-21-2003, 07:34 PM   #6

HeatherT HB User
Shannon,

I don't advise drinking, smoking pot, etc. Epilepsy is a brain disorder. Drinking and drugs effect the brain. You never know what can happen when you get drunk, high or whatever. Also alcohol nullifies medicine. So when you drink, you might as well not even take a dose of your medicine. It's way too risky for me. Me, I enjoy going to bars/clubs anyway and listening to live music with friends and musicians even if they drink, get drunk, smoke pot, etc. I don't criticize them for it and they accept me for not drinking. If your friends don't accept you for not drinking, smoking pot, etc. then they aren't friends.

Heather

Old 01-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #7

HeatherT HB User
Shannon,

I don't advise drinking, smoking pot, etc. Epilepsy is a brain disorder. Drinking and drugs effect the brain. You never know what can happen when you get drunk, high or whatever. Also alcohol nullifies medicine. So when you drink, you might as well not even take a dose of your medicine. It's way too risky for me. Me, I enjoy going to bars/clubs anyway and listening to live music with friends and musicians even if they drink, get drunk, smoke pot, etc. I don't criticize them for it and they accept me for not drinking. If your friends don't accept you for not drinking, smoking pot, etc. then they aren't friends.

Heather

Old 01-22-2003, 09:33 AM   #8
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Exclamation

Shannon,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a topic called "A warning...". Give it a read if you like. Its about a colleague of mine who's lately been having grand-mal seizures after a night's drinking. He's since had a few more since I posted that. He was taken to the ER again last week after he collapsed in the men's bathroom and had a grand-mal seizure. Of course he had been out drinking the night before. I asked him what the ER doc had said to him (we have all been lecturing him) and apparently the doc looked at him and said "Sort yourself out!" and then walked away. My friend knows what he needs to do to take care of himself. Its not rocket science.

Getting thrashed just because of the stereo-type "that's what young college people do" is just plain irresponsible and dangerous when you have any chronic medical illness (ie epilepsy, diabetes, heart disease). Its a fact, plain and simple, that alcohol lowers your threshold to withstand a seizure and mixes badly with meds.

Take care of yourself Shannon. A weekend of getting thrashed is not worth risking your health for. There are more important things in life than drugs and alcohol.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 02-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #9

bilbostuff HB User
From experience...
Dilantin and alchol do not mix..When I was a young lad I refused to accept the fact that dilantin and alchol did not mot mix, but lets face it, how does your brain feel after a night of drinking all night..
Tangerie and Tonic with two lime twists was once a very good friend of mine..at the time I was averaging 2 seizures a week, sometimes more...When it dawned on me that I might just spaz out and not come back, I started to get a bit nervous...so I stopped drinking....I currently have a seizure about once a year or every two years..
Drugs...hmm, had my share of those too, again, thing about the feeling one gets when they do cocaine..head spins a bit doesn't it, a bit dizzy, doesn't it....back when I was doing that stuff, I was going out like a lite two to three times a week...
Grass, I have always wondered about, I do not partake anymore, but have read many studies, some positive some negative...but I rely on my own feeling again...ever get the brain drain feeling? Feels like something is running down the back of your brain...can't be too good for anything...So in my humble little opinion, live clean, and straight...you do not have to, however I would suggest it...and I am very very liberal...

Old 02-11-2003, 09:52 AM   #10

Islander HB User
Hi Shannon
My seizures started around 12. I was put on dilantin and every time that I experimented with alcohol and pot I had a seizure. My neuro talked to me and said, "You can go ahead and experiment, but the more seizures that you have now the more frequently you will have them in the future." I changed to depakote and the only time that I had even one drink I had a grand mal. You have to make a choice. Would you rather have a few drinks then spend the rest of the night in the ER and not be able to drive for one year, or just enjoy a sober evening. If you find that you need to drink to relax you might check out AA. I know about AA from experience, mostly very honest caring people. I hope things are looking up for you.
Islander

Old 02-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #11

thekid HB User
well, it's probably anyone's guess if the seizures were caused by the drugs but could be I suppose. A few years after I graduated college, I started becoming a regular user of Ectasy (every week) and then got into both E and coke..1-2 times a week....all-nighters into next morning/afternoon were not that uncommon. And of course while drinking quite a bit....10-15+ drinks. While I had a seizure when I was 15 (it does run in my family and I was clean when my first occurred)....I never had one during the party-phase....for some strange reason. Then all of a sudden I was on vacation and had one after a few drinks...no drugs. of course my life has totally changed in the last month and my doc told me I could have 1-2 drinks max..."no binging" were his words as well as "you gotta live...right?". However, this could be different for each person. One other thing...i've smoked weed since around 18-19 and continue to this day....no problems so far. But, every person reacts to drugs (legal and illegal) differently....I suppose I could do a line or binge and not have anything happen....but no way in hell will I risk that. This is actually the best thing that's happened to me in a long time. I can't tell you how nice it is to wake up after going out on a Friday/Saturday night and feeling great instead of either not going to bed at all or feeling so incredibly horrible that it takes a day+ just to recover. One thing that has helped me is non-alcoholic beer....tastes basically the same as the alcoholic beer and lowers the craving. Don't let this stop you from going out/etc....the ex-raver in me still lives...it's just that now I remember the entire night of clubbing instead of only the beginning of the night

Old 02-11-2003, 05:04 PM   #12

EdlyRed HB User
Hello -
I started having grand mal seizures in college - about the same time I started drinking to excess. I experimented with many drugs over the years but now steer clear of all but pot, which I smoke in moderation every day. I totally avoid alcohol. No drinks for me. Last year I had HALF a glass of red wine and within 24 hours was twitching on the floor. No fun. I'll stick to the Hippie Weed for social intoxication, enjoy being the designated driver when going out with friends to the bar, and remind my self that no booze buzz is better than that awful post-seizure trauma! Opionions of various docs vary wildly about marijuana - everything from it will give you permanent fits to it soothes the nerves and doesn't effect your med level. I do know that the the more hard core drugs like coke, meth, and Ecstasy REALLY tax your entire system and should be avoided. (Two years ago I stayed up until the wee hours on coke and E and had a whopper grand mal at the breakfast table.) Not worth it. Booze will mess with the med level in your blood, the hard drugs will wipe you out and leave you vunerable. If you have to do something, I think you're safest with pot. I've never had trouble as a direct result of smoking weed - just be careful not to get so high you forget to take your meds! Good Luck!
Ed - 34 years old - Seattle

Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 AM   #13

violarose HB User
i am 31 years old. i have done alot of reading on this. please remember I am not a doctor. i think there is no reason why you cant have drink or two, but remember you have a lower threshold to getting drunk now. I dont personally like to drink, but thats just me. I am glad others came out and said they smoke pot. I also smoke pot everyday. from my reading it has a small small anti seizure in it. - but i dont smoke pot because of that- like I said- its just reading. I smoke pot because it helps me relax. gives me some relif of the pain I am in. and it comforts me/ I would never encourage anybody to smoke it. my family actually (who doesnt partake) encourages me to take a puff . they have seen me on pain killers for my pain, and they wipe me out. but now back to your age and everything, i am sorry you are going thru this, and it does seem unfair. but please dont over do anything, i know its tempting, when your out with friends, and such. (()))

Closed Thread