It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2003, 10:31 PM   #1

ctseverson HB User
Question SON'S EPISODES

HERE IS MY PROBLEM,

MY 12 YEAR OLD SON HAS HAD EPISODES IN THE PAST THAT NOONE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT.
LAST YEAR MY SON WAS COMPLANING OF A HEADACHE, DIZZYNESS AND TIRED HE LAID DOWN TO REST, ABOUT A HALF HOUR LATER HE SAID HE HAD TO VOMIT, AND SEEING THAT HIS CONDITION HAD NOT IMPROVED MY WIFE CALLED HER MOTHER WHO IS A NURSE AND HER STEPDAD IS AN EMT, THEY CAME OVER AND CHECKED HIM OUT AND NOTICED HIS BLOOD OXYGEN LEVEL WAS 80% (NORMAL IS 100%) PARAMEDICS WERE CALLED IMMEDIATELY AND HE WAS PUT ON OXYGEN AND RUSHED TO THE HOSPITAL THE DOCTOR IN THE ER SAID HE WAS HAVING A SEIZURE AND HE HAD STOPPED BREATHING. (HE HAD ONE SEIZURE IN THE PAST THAT WAS IN 96 BUT NOTHING SINCE CAUSE WAS NOT DETERMINED.) AFTER HE WAS STABLE HE WAS MOVED TO THE ICU.
THERE HIS NEUROLIGIST SAID HE WANTED TO PUT HIM IN THE EPILEPSY WARD OF THE HOSPITAL AND MONITER HIM FOR FURTHER SEIZURE ACTIVITY. WE WERE UP THERE FOR A WEEK AND NOTHING FURTHER HAPPENED. WE WERE PUT ON SEIZURE MEDICATION AND SENT HOME WITH NO FOR SURE ANSWERS. (MIGRANES WERE ALSO A POSSIBILITY AND THE MEDICATION HELPED FOR THOSE.) NO FURTHER EPISODES FOR A YEAR.
ONE YEAR TO THE DAY HE WAS IN SCHOOL. HE COMPLAINED THAT HE WAS SEEING COLORS IN FRONT OF HIS EYES AND HE WAS GETTING DIZZY. HE WAS SENT TO THE NURSE AND THERE HE VOMITED. UPON MY WIFES ARRIVAL SHE THOUGHT THAT IT WAS THE SAME THING AS BEFORE SO SHE TOOK HIM TO THE ER. UPON ARRIVAL SHE TOLD THEM TO GET A PULSE OXIMITER ON HIM INSTEAD OF THE TEMPERATURE AND BLOOD PRESSURE. HIS OXYGEN LEVELS AGAIN WERE AT 80%. HE WAS RUSHED BACK TO AND AGAIN HE HAD STOPPED BREATHING AND IT WAS SAID THAT HE WAS HAVING A SEIZURE. AGAIN THEY GOT HIM STABLE AND HE WAS SENT TO THE ICU AFTER A STAY OF A DAY THIS TIME HIS NEUROLOGIST SAID WHAT MY WIFE HAD THOUGHT OF AND THAT HIS SEIZURES ARENT THE CAUSE BUT THE EFFECT OF SOMETHING ELSE, AFTER A STAY IN THE HOSPITAL LONG ENOUGH TO RUN SOME METABOLIC, HEART AND BRAIN TESTS, WE WERE SENT HOME TO AWAIT THE RESULTS.
NOW EVERYONE THAT WE HAVE TALKED TO HAS NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SEIZURE RELATED THAT WOULD CAUSE A CHILD TO STOP BREATHING, MIGRANES HAVE BEEN RULED OUT HEART HAS BEEN RULED OUT MRI IS NORMAL. HE IS A HEALTHY KID OTHER THAN THESE EPISODES. IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS ANY INFORMATION PLEASE LET ME KNOW WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2003, 08:29 AM   #2

lazoo HB User
What was his seizure like in 96? Was he put on meds? This sounds serious since he continues to stop breathing. Keep pressing this issue until you find out what is causing this. Wish I could help you. I'm praying for you and your family.

Closed Thread