It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2003, 02:49 PM   #1

niunia HB User
Post keppra

I wonder if anyone is taking keppra..Recently (about 4months) I have been prescribed keppra...thus far it seems to be working OK...no side effects and my seizures seem to be much better...Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2003, 05:32 PM   #2

sekharp HB User
Hello. I am being put on Keppra and being taken off Dilantin. It is thought that I have nocturnal complex partial seizures, some with secondary generalization. The Dilantin has controlled the daytime simple partial seizures. I am only taking 250 mgs of Keppra at night right now but eventually I will be up to 2,000 mgs a day. I haven't had any more nocturnal seizures since I started the new drug but it makes me feel a bit strange in the morning. I may also have been a bit more grouchy lately (a common side effect, I am told). Overall, it's better than the Dilantin, which was raising my liver enzymes and giving me nausea and severe fatigue. ... I hope this helps. ... What is your dose of Keppra and how often do you take it? What kind of seizures do you have?

------------------
All of us has an angel, if only we know where to look.

[This message has been edited by sekharp (edited 02-16-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 08:35 AM   #3

twirlygirl HB User
Question

hi, a quick question for you.

what does a nocturnal seizure "feel" like, and how can you tell that you've had one? is it just like the way that the daytime seizure would occur, just at night? i often have muscle spasms/twitches while sleeping even after the falling asleep stage; but since i haven't been diagnosed with E (and they don't know if what i had was a seizure), i can't tell yet whether any of these are also seizures. do you get the feelings of confusion after a nocturnal seizure? do your muscles hurt? is there any other way that you can tell that you had one, or does someone else have to tell you that you had one?

thanks...

twirlygirl

Old 02-17-2003, 08:49 AM   #4

sekharp HB User
Lightbulb

I am sorry you are having such trouble. My mom witnessed my having a complex partial seizure at night one time she happened to be walking through the living room. But mostly, the way I know, is when my muscles are extremely stiff and sore, I am dazed and confused, and sometimes I am a bit incontinent. Also, I don't feel like eating much that day and have nausea and extreme fatigue. Sometimes there is a headache. I never remember anything about the seizures themselves. It's probably better that way. Less often, I will hurt myself enough to require pain medications. (I hit my head pretty hard one time; I still have the bruise.) Of course, it always helps to have someone witness it -- either a family member, at home, or a physician or nurse during video-EEG monitoring. It provides important details. Do you remember anything about your seizures? It's hard to say based on what you have said. Do you have a neurologist? It would help to have you undergo a 48- to 72-hour ambulatory EEG, which would record your brain's electrical activity while you are awake and asleep. In my case, that was normal, but one theory is that the seizures are originating from the frontal lobe, where the EEG can show normal waves even during a seizure, supposedly. What tests have you had so far? Can you describe in detail what happens during the events?
Being able to tell if you have had a nocturnal seizure depends on what type you have had. ... Undoubtedly, you would feel differently after a generalized tonic-clonic seizure or a partial seizure with secondary generalization than you would after a simple partial seizure. A lot of it depends on the person. It's tough to say whether the seizures "occur" the same way they do during the daytime. I don't remember mine so I can't say. Like I said, it depends on the seizure. Has anyone seen you have the twitches after you fall asleep or have you just remembered them? I would say that confusion is common after a nocturnal seizure. ...
------------------

[This message has been edited by sekharp (edited 02-17-2003).]

Old 02-17-2003, 05:24 PM   #5

niunia HB User
Sekharp, thank you so much for your response.... Let me give you a little bit of a back ground I am 28 and have just been diagnosed with partial complex seizures about two years ago. Prior to that my family as well as myself were aware that i had some sort of a seizure disorder but i was not willing to go on any medication. Admitting to have seizures meant that my life was going to be altered forever. I was not about to enter that journey. My seizures if they are diagnosed correctly last about 30 seconds on rare occasion they last 60 seconds and according to my family i have a panic look in my face and no matter what questions i am asked my response is always the same. "I'm O.K." During my brief seizure i continue to attend to the task that i am doing at the time but my verbal ability is disrupted. I have no doubt i have had these seizures for most of my life including in college. I have been driving until about 2 years ago when i went to the doctor and got formal diagnoses. Thus far i have been on neurontin (did not do much) then zonegran (very bad side effects) now i am on keppra and it seems to be working.
I wonder Sekharp are you driving? my life has really changed since i went to the doctor and was put on medication. Once again thank you for your response.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:25 PM   #6

sekharp HB User
The state of my driving is a curious thing right now. My doctor did not want to put down on the examination form that I had any daytime loss of consciousness. But I did have a weird episode while cooking a tri-tip roast. Things looked funny, I lost time and I was doing strange things. There will be a date set with the hearing officer at the California DMV soon. Right now my doctor said he can't guarantee that driving is safe for me. I do sometimes during the day, but never very far. I would say 99 percent of my seizure activity is at night, so I feel more confident than I would if I had the episodes during the day. ... Does that help?

------------------

Old 02-20-2003, 04:20 AM   #7

Pacemaker52 HB User
I have been takeing for several years I don't
seem to have any side effects

Closed Thread