It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #1

Kaitie HB User
Angry Seizure During Job Interview!

Hi - I'm so ANGRY right now - actually, just frustrated really. Last Saturday I had a job interview (actually THREE of them back to back) for a company that I was FULLY qualified to work for...I was fun - and for the firt two interviews - we walked out together laughing and shaking hands...then on the third interview - I had a seizure (absence) and stopped talking mid sentence and couldn't pick up where I started...

I must have looked like I was taking drugs or something stupid. She made me write a math test - and then told me she'd call me within the week for a final interview - but it's been a week now - and no call....

I phoned them just now - and their Human Resources person has gone to ENGLAND (I'm in Vancouver BC Cananda) and isn't coming back for a lllloooonnnngggg time...so that means one of two things - either they have a new HR person, or I didn't get the job.

What a place to have a seizure - at least if it was AFTER I got hired, I could hide it a little more....it's all because my nerves were running high, and after two other 30 minute interviews, I was tired and whatever else...

I HATE E - it's ruining my life...no job - and also - I'll probably be losing my lisence for driving in a couple weeks.

Grrrr - sorry just venting...I'm sure this has happened to many people!

Kaitie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #2

violarose HB User
that really sucks big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know what else to say, ugh, i am frustrated for you reading that. (())(())))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2003, 01:31 AM   #3

bilbostuff HB User
My gosh, what a time..It may sound a bit to light but be patient, the job may not have been a good one anyway. I have had epilepsy for over 20 years, I shake rattle and roll on occassion, and have done it during job interviews...I found something out a long time ago..if you hide epilepsy, it will come out on you when you least expect it. I do not bother, as a matter of fact, I have trained myself to be darn proud of my condition, and the way I handle it...amazing enough since I "came out" I have not had one yet at such a darn incomvient time...just a thought,,,trust me, I have been in your shoes and felt it, I finally simply got tired of it...Wave a flag, and be happy, things could be much worse.... good luck lady..

------------------
Bilbostuff
Rock on..

Old 02-15-2003, 06:05 AM   #4

nicola_76_uk HB User
Unhappy

Kaitie,

So sorry to hear that happened to you. Something similiar happened to me a few weeks ago.

I work in a big department store and had just taken a credit card from a customer when I had a petit-mal. I was just standing there with the card in my hand staring at the till and couldn't remember what I was suppose to do! My hands were shaking and tears were starting to fall because I was becoming upset because of the disorientation. Luckily my manager was right there with me and took over the transaction. But of course this happened on a Saturday when there were loads of people around to stare at me. I had a second seizure which just made me even more upset so I ended up going home. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

I know how it feels to have a seizure happen in the most inconvienent of times! Its extremely frustrating!! Just trust that it happens to the best of us and its not the total end of the world.

You never know, you may yet get called for that job! I hope that my little story made you feel a bit better as well.

Take care and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 02-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #5

Kaitie HB User
That used to happen to me all the time at my old job...(cashier @ a building store) I would take the card or cash or whatever and just stand there...Sometimes when I'm having absence seizures I put things softly against my lips, and this one time, I took a ladies card and (apparently) put it up against my lips. I came back when she said: "WHAT are you doing to my card????" Ooops <sheepish grin>. I also used to work most recently for a tourist info booth and I used to give directions to people all over the province...Quite often people would tell me where they needed to go, and I'd start highlighting a map and then I'd have a seizure but KEEP highlighting the map all over the place really...then stop - look up and say: "Where were you going again????" ooops (another <sheepish grin>.

Anyways - I got a call on Saturday Morning for a FOURTH interview - with the department manager (this is yet ANOTHER bigger and better building supply store - you'd know it) in Millwork and had that on Saturday Afternoon. It went well - he said to me "We'll check your references on Monday and you will DEFINATELY hear back from us by the end of the week"...

Which I DID! So today I've got one FINAL meeting and things should be all firmed up.

I'll let you all know!

Basically - E isn't a brick wall or anything - it's just a little speedbump. Slows me down somtimes but I can pick up speed no problem.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT EVERYONE!

Kaitie

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaitie:
Phantom Seizure (12-17-2011)
Old 02-24-2003, 03:07 AM   #6

nicola_76_uk HB User
Smile

Hi Kaitie!

Good luck at your final meeting! I know you'll do great!

Take care and keep in touch!

Nic

Old 02-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #7

Kaitie HB User
I GOT THE JOB! Just wanted to let you all know. I'm so happy!

Then - I'm freakin' out because if they take my liscence away March 19th (neuro appointment) then how the heck will I get to work???

Love Kaitie

Old 02-24-2003, 07:38 PM   #8

EMS Woman HB User
Kaitie, (Hi I am new here http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif) )

I know what you are going through, My doc called me the other day and told me not to drive at all and that she was sending a form into the State letting them know of my condition and that they recommend temporary suspension of my driving priviledges.

I depend on driving myself everywhere so much and I was extremely upset when I was told this but I should have seen it coming because my hubby being a cop told me that it was going to happen. But it is such an inconvenience. Now I will not be able to get a job because of the transportation issue. The public transportation in my area is not good at all and I would have to walk a great distance to get transportation to work. I have nobody to depend on.

I truly know what you are going through right now with the license thing. It is frustrating!

------------------
~!~ Cheryl, EMT-B ~!~

Old 02-25-2003, 01:30 PM   #9

nicola_76_uk HB User
Smile

Hi Kaitie!!

CONGRATS on getting the job!! I'm so proud of you...knew you could do it!

Try not to worry too much about your license just yet. You may not lose it. If you do, I'm sure something will be worked out for you. Stay positive.

Again, congrats. Fab news!

(((hug)))

Old 02-25-2003, 03:37 PM   #10

Kaitie HB User
Thank you so much! I'm really really happy about it...I was so worried and it's kinda nice that I was worried for nothing!

I posted to you under a topic from EMS woman - but anyways, the point was that I'd like to get to know you more because you are the first person I've talked to who has petit-mal epilepsy!

Love
Kaitie

Old 02-26-2003, 06:14 AM   #11

nicola_76_uk HB User
Smile

Hiya Kaitie!

I posted a reply to you under EMS woman's topic. Maybe we can start a new thread about petit-mal epilepsy.

Take care!

Closed Thread