It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2002, 01:14 AM   #1

Piano HB User
Question Anyone brave enough?

Hi guys, I want to try out something a friend of mine suggested. Healthy mind, healthy body. Power of thinking positive. So, I want everyone to talk about how E has positively affected their lives. I know you all are thinking, "She's nuts. How can this be positive?" But I'm gonna try, and I'll be the first. No snickering behind my e-back. Here goes:

If I didn't have epilepsy, I wouldn't have ended up on this page and met all of you!

Please someone reply. My friend truly believes in this and I don't want to be a dork alone!

Piano

Old 05-09-2002, 01:20 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Ok Piano,

I'll be a dork with you.... it has made me look at how ignorant people can truely be. I feel we all have been given something no matter the handicap.. but people look at people still in the year 2002 as "freaks" it's not our ignorance it's theres

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
I'll be the 3rd dork here! I allways knew that Mark & I had a special realationship but if I had never began having these seizures I would have never know just how special I truely am to him. He takes such good care of me & I get really down at times since I have lost my job & he has been so supportive & tells me he loves it that he has a "housewife" & he thinks I am actually less stressed since I have been off of work. Piano, I think this is the best post yet! You are truely going to make a difference by asking us to join you in this quest & I think it is great. Thank you so very much. You have just made my day a brighter one!
Big hug to you!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

[This message has been edited by Ksavage (edited 05-09-2002).]

Old 05-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Wink

welllllll,
Since aquiring epilepsy,It really has sorted the wheat from the chaff.No one came rallying round,not just so called friends,but family included.I suppose It's a positive as I know where I stand lol.One more thing,It meant I could finnish working In a dangerous environment,climbing cranes,crawling through manholes,climbing In boiler's,repairing the tea urn in the canteen....ha.
garry

Old 05-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #5

Piano HB User
I've come up with another one. It has gotten my a$$ into gear. I know I'm not gonna die from it tommorrow or anything, but I usually feel sick, so when I do feel better, instead of just wasting my time, I accomplish things. I do those puzzles I've had in the closet for years, I go out to lunch with friends I haven't seen in months, and I take my dogs for walks. Which they love me even more for! Man, I love those dogs!

You guys are awesome!

Piano

Old 05-09-2002, 11:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Come on guys! Lets hear some more! This is fun & I have been checking the board more often in hopes of finding another post! Another one I thought of was that I have a huge garden now! I never had the time to mess with a garden when I was working! I cannot wait until everything starts blooming! YUMMY!
Hugs to you all!
Kim

Old 05-10-2002, 04:32 PM   #7

Rey HB User
Well, let me think here. I know its (epilepsy) has given me an empathy I never had, and possibly wouldn't have had, at least to the extent I do. For 20 years I worked as a nurse in the health care field, and my having epilepsy allowed me to see my patients overcoming obstacles in their paths, and to encourage them in their struggles. I see more than epilspy as an obstacle; there are many roadblcks to physical and/or emotional well-being. I guess we teach a bit of what we want/need to learn, eh?

Now, unemployed, and hoping I am granted another glorious 20 years, I reflect back to how cavaleerly (sp?) I spent those glorious 20 years, after seizures got under control in 1978 ('life' for me did't start until 30 ) , and I'm now 50.

I also realized tht there are others who have it harder than me. Yep, I take a bunch of pills a day, and in spite of right now being a terrible transition, I've heard the stories, that tell me that others have a harder walk to follow than I. Hopefully this current trend is only a ***** in the armor!

Annie

[This message has been edited by Rey (edited 05-10-2002).]

Old 05-10-2002, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hey Annie

Can I ask why you are unemployed? is it because of the seizures? or did you get layed off? I don't want to be nosey but there are a few of us who have lost jobs because of the seizures (which should have never happened).....

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 07:16 PM   #9
littlemedic04

Well I would try it but I haven't had a sezuire in over 2 years, but i am still taking meds. for it. I might be getting off the meds at the end of this month.

Old 05-10-2002, 08:34 PM   #10

amanda33 HB User
well i am brave enough to reply .....i am 16 and i had a seizure like 2 days ago (in school) so all of my friends saw it and knew about it.......and i came back to school today and i relized how many people really did care for me.....and they told me that they have never seen anything like that and no matter what happens to me they would still love me! .......thanks! bye ya'll!
amanda

Old 05-12-2002, 01:55 PM   #11

Piano HB User
You guys are awesome! But c'mon, there have to be more people out there, too. I am so thankful for fresh cucumbers from my mom's garden. Now, that might not have to do with E, but Ksavage talking about a garden made me think of it! Mmm mmm. So much better than store bought ones.

Piano

Old 05-12-2002, 07:20 PM   #12

Happysbutterfly HB User
amanda!!!
i need someone like you help my best friend, he is so depressed and wont leave his house. please reply
Renai

Old 05-12-2002, 09:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi All,
I also want to thank Piano for allowing us to think in positive terms as far as Epilepsy is concerned....because it's not easy! I am thankful that I have a very supportive husband and three great sons. My poor hubbie was so sure I was dying during my first seizure that he sat screaming for help from anyone driving by (we were in the car on the way to the hospital.) I had been feeling "wierd", then couldn't communicate, so he called my Doc., and was told to take me to the E.R. While walking to the car, I lost my ability to control my legs, so he had to touch each one (leg) and tell me to move it. About ten miles down the road I began to have a grand mal, totally out of the blue (first ever.) Luckily, a passer-by had a cell phone and called an ambulance. To this day, my husband can't wear the shirt he was wearing that day. We've struggled with numerous medical tests, my inability to drive in a rural area, another seizure, and a change in my employment status, and he has been a Saint! He says, "it's what you do when you love someone." My eyes have been opened to the level of love, devotion and caring he has for me. My three sons have been wonderful about chauffeuring me as well, and I realize how lucky I am. The only reason I have had to cut down on my work schedule is because of the driving thing, since I can't guarantee being reliable. I have expanded my flower gardens, and enjoy being home. All in all, I am more aware of the support of family and friends, and that is a priceless gift. Thanks again Piano, for reminding us of the positive side of Epilepsy.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #14
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
You all are great and to hear the story from Krazy is sweet.. your very lucky to have a family that cares.. alot of people don't have that hon treasure it.. but we all have a family here too and to me thats special I have never met so many wonderfull people to share my lifes stories with I am honoured to know each and everyone of you... Thank you for being friends

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-13-2002, 09:37 PM   #15

Piano HB User
I love you guys!

Piano

Closed Thread